Tony MacMahon’s Bass Layout

Tony MacMahon’s Bass Layout

Hey all, I have recently returned to playing TIM with the purchase of a 21 button C#D Boxeen accordion. It has three voices all MMM which is what I like as I am a big fan of Tony MacMahon’s style of playing. I know he usually plays a DD# which would probably be played similar to my C#D. I try to play similar to him, but I, for the life of me, can’t figure out how he uses the basses. I love his style and would like to know if any one knows what the bass layout for his box is. I would be most grateful. Cheers.

Re: Tony MacMahon’s Bass Layout

Based on the clips I’ve seen, it’s close enough to the C#/D Paolo Soprani layout presented on this page:
http://squeezehead.com/keyboard-layouts/basses/LAYOUTS.html

At least, the outside bass row is the "home row" with a D on the push, A on the pull, and Em (above) on the pull (probably another A on the push for the same button pair). The lowest pair of buttons on the inside row is a G (on the pull). I haven’t seen a video where he plays the inside top buttons (but it could be Bm and F#m).

Re: Tony MacMahon’s Bass Layout

Jackie Daly changes the D/G bass on the inside row to G/G (and I have done that on my C#/D box).
That way you can play a G bass against treble G,B (on pull) and also D (on press).
The D that is replaced is extra anyway because you have D/A on the outside bass row.
I don’t know whether Tony MacMahon has done that or not. It is very useful for slow airs, though.