Has your Session Pub enjoyed a visit from the Fiddle Bus?

Has your Session Pub enjoyed a visit from the Fiddle Bus?

Last Sunday one of my local session venues, the Skerry Inn, high in the Antrim Hills had a wee visit from the Session Bus, a group of excellent Scottish & Irish Fiddle players who explore a new area each year. This year they were in Ireland & we were lucky enough to have them call up to Co. Antrim.

Fiddlers on this tour included Paul Anderson, Liam O’Connor, John Kelly, Liam O’Connor, Liam O’Connor, Cathal Caulfield, Shona Donaldson, George Davidson, James Beatley, plus Mick O’Connor on Flute, Gearóid Cahillane on Mandolin & Mick Mullen on Guitar.

As you’ll see from the photos, they were joined by a merry band of local musicians for mighty Sunday afternoon session, including special guest, the legendary John Kennedy … no better way to spend an afternoon.

To get a flavour of the afternoon concert & session, check out my photos here:

Fiddle Bus at the Skerry Inn, Newtowncrommelin, Co. Antrim, 7th April 2018:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/northantrimbirds/albums/72157695447028005

Has anyone else had the pleasure of having this merry band of musical maestros land in on them?

If so, have you any photos or tales to tell?

Cheers,
Dick

Re: Has your Session Pub enjoyed a visit from the Fiddle Bus?

What fun! If only they had a boat…

Was Liam O’Connor there? I don’t see him mentioned.

Hi Cathal’s Da, yes his name is the 2nd name on the list above & you must have missed photos #2, #4 & #5.

Should have gone to Specsavers! :-D

Cheers,
Dick

Who should have gone to Specsavers?! :)

Posted .

Could the point being missed here be that 3 of the musicians might be named Liam O’Connor ? Just a guess. Do I see Seamus Sands in there, Dick ? The Irish contingent were over here near Aberdeen about this time last year I think. Hardly anybody knew about it at all, and I missed it because I was in Ballyvourney at the time, as I was this year. Good to see the name of James Beatley there, too, it’s a very long time since the 3 of us had some tunes together. I might even have a photo somewhere - watch this space !
Hope you are a’ weel. Kenny.

Posted by .

Aye Kenny, Liam O’Connor & his dad Mick were both there on Sunday.

James talked about last year’s trip to Aberdeen & how much he enjoyed it, but this visit here, last weekend, wasn’t advertised either & only for the pub owner asking me to bring my Dulcimer along & play a couple of tunes at the concert, I’d have missed it too.

Funnily enough, James & I also mentioned that old photo of himself, meself & I think Gary Peterson, all on Banjos, with your good self standing behind us on ye olde Flute.

Cheers,
Dick

Liam O’Connor was there with his dad Mick O’Connor who was there with his son Liam O’Connor, Seamus Sands was also there as well, not to mention the ambidextrous Liam O’Connor sitting beside John Kelly who was only there once.
Anyway a fine group of musicians; how did Barbara get on the bus with the box ?

God, that’s scary, Dick ! Not the photo I was thinking about though. I’m sure I have one similar. Was that up at a Keith Trad. Music Festival ? Year ?
PS - why was I, a thoroughly respectable flute player demeaning myself was by playing with 3 banjos ? Youse boys must have been buying :)

Posted by .

Well, back in those days Kenny, you had no shame! :-D

Yes, it was Keith 1979, so just 40 years ago … almost.

Maybe you were thinking of this photo, with us & Peter McClements, taken at the Edinburgh Folk Festival in 1980.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/northantrimbirds/27502650068/in/dateposted-public/

Time fair flies when yer havin’ fun. ;-)

Cheers,
Dick

Your hair was a bit more restrained in 1980 than it was in 1979, Dick. Would you blame that on the cuts made by Thatcher? You definitely caught my best side in that otherwise fine photo of Shona Donaldson, by the way :)

m.d.

EFF in 1980… That would have been in Chambers Street? Before they moved to Teviot the following year?
I didn’t know as much about "the tunes" as much back then but followed the likes of Dick Gaughan, Archie, Allan Taylor…the singer/guitarist side of things and I yearned to be like Ralph McTell(who I still admire).
It was a great festival though in 1980. I remember seeing The Watersons there and many others including Hom Bru for the first time. A great atmosphere in the early days of the festival.
I enjoyed the instrumental sessions too, of course. Lots of Shetland music, as I recall.

I miss the early days at Keith too when sessions, both instrumental and singing, were much more spontaneous.
The last time I went, the instrumental sessions mostly comprised musicians of the "fiddle and accordion" variety with plugged in keyboards and snare drums etc. Of course, everyone was still welcome to join in but, while I knew lots the the tunes, it didn’t appeal quite as much.

Careful Johnny, this thread is beginning to look like it’s only for ‘Old Farts’ like meself, missing the good old days. ;-)
What I remember most about that festival, apart from loads of great sessions, was a wee solo recital from Paddy Glackin.

Hey emmdee, just count yourself lucky that you actually do have a good side. ;-)
I remember a local press photographer telling of the time this old fella in his late 70s was almost for punching him, because his photo in the paper, he reckoned, made him look … "old"! :-D

Cheers,
Dick