Who was the first bouzouki maker in Ireland?

Who was the first bouzouki maker in Ireland?

Been doing a bit of research, and it seems most the early (70’s) "Irish bouzouki" makers were English - does anyone have an idea who the first Irish -Irish bouzouki makers were?

Re: Who was the first bouzouki maker in Ireland?

But now that you mention it, I just learned that Abnett was in the UK. I always assumed he was in Ireland. I like to learn something new every day!

Yes, Abnet is English, as is Sobell. I’m interested to know who the first Irish maker was.

Joe Foley perhaps? I can’t find any info on when he started building but he’s definitely been making them for quite some time at least since the early ’80s as per this for sale ad https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/119843.

Posted by .

Two possible candidates, according to "Ireland’s Musical Instrument Makers", by Joyce Pye, printed in 1990.
There are 4 bouzouki makers named, 2 of which are listed as having 14 years experience at that time, so possibly they started making in 1976.
They are : Paul Doyle, in Mullingar, Co. Westmeath.
: Jan Muyllaert, Ardbraccan, Navan, Co. Meath
Joe Foley is listed as having 10 years experience at that time.
Hope that helps. Kenny.

Posted by .

Somebody has suggested that the first ( English ) ‘zouk builder was in fact John Bailey, who put a Greek bouzouki neck onto a Portugese Guitarra body for John Pearse.
There were definitely various odd long-necked flat-backed instruments about before that, I have a print of an 18th-c painting showing a lot of artistic women, one of whom is holding something very like an Irish Bouzouki, so maybe there have always been a few such things about.

I ordered a bouzouki from Jan Muyllaert in October 1976, having seen one he made for Paddy Mulhair. So he was definitely making in 1976, or before that. I don’t have the instrument any more, or a Mandola he made for me in 1979, but he is a very talented guy, and made a point of using native timbers. He mainly makes Harps now, but can turn a hand to anything.

I think differentiating the ‘Irish Bouzouki’ from the actual octave mandolin is silly. It’s the same instrument.