Planxty Mozart

Planxty Mozart

Having watched the old YouTube video of the Chieftains and the RTE orchestra crashing The Piper’s Chair and Mozart’s Horn Concerto No 4 (the bit described as the Rondo, I think) into a kind-of jig, I was tempted to have a go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFlhacvc_o

The Piper’s Chair is the easy bit but could anyone help me with the dots for the Mozart bit? It would be really impressive in the Friday night session.

Re: Planxty Mozart

If you really want to learn a simple version of that Mozart horn concerto to play at a session (God help the session!) there’s a marvellous version by Flanders & Swann which, because it’s a song, is easier to get by heart.

https://youtu.be/bkYrj2DQlVc

That’s one of the greatest comic songs ever.

"It would be really impressive in the Friday night session"

I’m not sure your fellow session players would be that impressed.

Check your mailbox 😉

Thank you both so very much.
If/when I can make a reasonable stab at it, I plan to play the Piper’s Chair first as my solo piece and then go straight into the Mozart.
That session will never be the same again.

Thanks Rosemarie, I had seen that but it was far too complicated for my poor skill to interpret - ‘way above my pay grade’, as they say.

It put me in mind of the remark attributed to Emperor Joseph II about The Marriage of Figaro - "too many notes, Mozart".

Leapfrogging Diddley and Mozart. That was a truly horrible experience. Thank you for the warning.

Ever since we were invited to play at a trout farm, all of all things, I have a simple version of Schubert’s Trout Quintet theme up my sleeve. Quite funny when it suddenly dawns on people what you’re playing!

Some of us play classical. We have thrown the odd Bach gigue in as these blend nicely with jigs.

I love playing an Fhailingín Mhuimhneach followed by Bach’s Minuet in G but I have no taste and put Worcester sauce on my turnips.

Mozart wrote so many terrific melodies, listen to Marriage of Figaro (eg Voi che sapete) and the tunes are not that complicated if you leave out all that orchestration. My family once had a music box that played a tune of his from Don Giovanni, but it was given a different name ie "Ub immer treu und Redlichkeit"it. I can play it on the fiddle as it is easy. I forget what the Don Giovanni song’s called.

Beg pardon, but tune aka "Ub immer treu und redlichkeit" comes from "The Magic Flute" not"Don Giovanni". Once saw a production of M F set in a huge library, why I not sure. M F was almost a pantomime opera with the wicked Queen of the Night & the bird-catcher Papageno. Mozart must have had a lovely time writing catchy tunes for this new audience to enjoy. I like the silly Papageno and Papagena duet, but so much great music and the Q of the Night’s aria (a real feat to sing) is amazing.

Have posted the tune from the Magic Flute aka "Ub immer treu und redlichkeit" and it’s a sweet tune and not hard to play. It later became a folk-song under above title (the Nazis were quite keen…)