The Old Guard

The Old Guard

Is it just me, or do some of the "old guards" of the old mustard boards seem to have vanished. I haven’t seen Reverand, AB, Ailin, Gobby, Aaron or any other names I recognize in a while… WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO?! *Echoes in the distance* Go… go… go…

Hmmmm maybe I’m going crazy at the ripe old age of 18…

Re: The Old Guard

Do drop by more often…Reverend, AB, and Ailin have all made appearances here within the week. Gobby has made himself very scarce. Aaron was squabbling with someone within the past month. ‘Course, all of this is perilously close to being a ‘meta-discussion’. :(

Ah Postie! It’s good to see a name I recognize. I just see an abundance of new names. Very few I actually recognize lately.

Hello Kellie! Cheers mate.

Posted by .

Hi Kellie. Are you still intending coming to Ireland?
Alex.

I seem to have forgotten how to check the numbers of members unless there’s been a change in the system.

Apart from Reverend who has been here for quite a while under other guises, the other names Kellie mentioned are just bairns themselves as far as length of membership is concerned. 🙂. Postie has been here for some time I think.

For me, "the old guard" are the likes of Zina, Dr Dow, Llig, Will, Danny(Still here under another fancy name 🙂 ), and, of course, Kenny. Most of them seldom post now and others have departed.
There will be one or two others still around who have changed their handles but I’ll need to check their numbers..once I remember how.

I read but don’t post nearly as much. Certainly no ‘squabbling’.

Posted by .

Hey, Ohio (Kellie), where’d you go?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvAYGz6Iwmc

I’ve been here recently. How is the music up there, still making it to Michigan ever, &/or beyond.
You’re an adult now. That’s grand!

Ben

Posted by .

"I seem to have forgotten how to check the numbers of members"

If you click on the name and go to the profile, the number appears in the URL. (Perhaps hovering over the name brings up the URL in some operating systems.) I see you’re #1066, Johnny ‘The Conquerer’ Jay.

I’m still here (and who are you calling "old"?) 😛

Certainly a lot of the core members from the early days (2001) have wandered away, never to be heard from again. In most cases it was voluntary, in others, they were shown the door. And in a few cases, members have passed away (bodhran bliss, Bannerman, and boxist are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Perhaps having a screen name that starts with ‘b’ is somewhat of a curse?)

But the forums have been increasingly quiet over the last few years. Reasons for this probably include a lot of different factors. Like the fact that pretty much every topic that tends to come up with regards to playing Irish trad has been discussed (or bickered) ad nauseam over the last 17 years. And many people were turned off by the bickering that these forums had a reputation for. It seems like the bickering has really become mostly a non-issue in recent years, but maybe that was fueling a lot of the traffic on the forums, or at the very least it provided more ‘entertainment’ (in the same way that negativity is the big seller in news). But there are other factors too - the rise of other social media, the plethora of trad available on YouTube, etc.

I miss a lot of the wisdom and banter that used to happen on these forums. But fortunately, Jeremy has allowed us to look at (and search) the entire history of the forums (minus things that have been removed for one reason or another), and that makes these forums very valuable still! And there are still good, helpful discussions happening amidst all the tune queries and for sale threads 😀

My habit has been to only comment when I feel I know what I’m on about, so I am selective about the threads I contribute to. Very recently, I posted a recording from my weekly session (Last Sunday’s Fun). Kellie, you might be interested in that.

Btw, I joined the board in May of 2004.

Posted by .

What do you mean "where’d everybody go"… Where have YOU been Kellie, hmm?
*smirk*

Posted by .

Hi CMO,

Thanks, I had since worked that out but was there not a list at one time?
I see you are "220" which is very early but I’m sure you must have had a different name back then…

Rev,
I miss the old days when discussion forums were really popular. The rise of social media in general has a lot to do with their demise as you say. Thankfully, The Session is still here.

I just noticed that I’m number 220 - apparently I wrote my first message in the first thread, just a few days after Jeremy posted it. I was more active on Irtrad-L at that time.

jeff_lindquist: "I just noticed that I’m number 220"

That’s strange - I’m #220 and you appear to be #970.

Johnny Jay: "… you must have had a different name back then…"

Yes, I went through a frenzy of name changes some years back. When I first joined I was ‘David’ - plain, simple and bold (I’m still all of those).

"Hi Kellie. Are you still intending coming to Ireland?" Yes I am planning on it. Probably my sophomore or Junior year in college I would think. I’ll go to University of Toledo and use their study abroad program to spend a semester on the Ol’ Emerald Isle! 🙂

"How is the music up there, still making it to Michigan ever, &/or beyond." I’ve been making it to random performances and sessions around Toledo, but sadly haven’t been able to make it up to Ann Arbor recently.

I’ve been away for a long time trying to develop a career of sorts! I’ve been dropping by recently to remind myself of a few tunes…

Of course it’s 970! I was reading your post while looking at my ID…

Dr. Dow- and grand it is to see you back.

I’m number 56,301. I’ve been here for over 8 years, but apparently a Johnny-come-lately!

Posted by .

Old Guard? :P
Get off ma lawn ya spring chicken lol

I always think of myself as a latecomer to this site, but I see I’ve been posting since 2004. A few more members and I shall be in the oldest 5% of users. Eek.

Posted by .

Nice site here. Really glad that founders of it are still here.

So how do you find your member number? Checked my profile but don’t see it there.

I believe you can getting it by clicking on "Your profile". When I do that, the URL is https://thesession.org/members/1094 — and I’m presuming that means I’m number #1094. If I’m right, then you’re #23308?

Really glad all of you guys and gals are still here! 🙂 I thought you’d left!

"So how do you find your member number? Checked my profile but don’t see it there."

You can just hover the mouse over "Your profile" at the top menu bar, and the link will show up at the lower left bottom of the browser window, with the number at the end. At least in Chrome, not sure about other browsers. You get the same info by hovering the mouse cursor over anyone else’s signature name in the thread, down at the lower left of the browser window.

thanks for the tip Conical, I’ve now discovered I’m 50,711 - a relative latecomer I guess ……….

I’m 105,011

An interesting conundrum (but probably impossible to answer definitively): How many session members, at some point during their membership, have been equal in age to their member number? (e.g. You are member #49 and you are 49 years old). It is probably safe to assume that nobody with a member number above 122 would qualify (although they may yet) - and it is also unlikely (but not impossible) that anyone whose member number is a single figure would qualify.

The total number of members, past and present, at the time of writing, is 111,581. Assuming that only those with member numbers between 10 and 122 would qualify, that only a mere 0.1% of members could ever hope to achieve this enviable status. Several members within that range, however, have either withrawn their membership or been ‘dismembered’ and, using the data available on this site, we have no way of knowing whether they were still members when their ages co-incided with their member numbers - and neither do we know how many were already past that age when they joined. Clever statistician types could probably come up with a meaningful estimate based on probabilities and stuff…

But statistically 98% of statistics are cobblers, n’est ce pas?

Thankfully, we don’t have to state our age either when we join The Session. So, this will make things more difficult for statisticians too.
Personally, I’m glad that each of us can choose how much to reveal about ourselves here. Not that I’ve anything to hide and we can always give further information as and when it suits.
God forbid that we end up like Facebook although I’m quite sure that’s not what CMO is thinking of here. 🙂

With reference to CMO’s last post above about numbers, a few years back one of the most notorious of the old guard, he who shall not be named, posted a formula that related length of time as a member here to the number of tune and discussion contributions. The essence, as I recall it, was that tunes should outweigh discussion posts.
I think he also chose to include a square (or square root) in the formula which made it impossible for anyone who wasn’t a member in the very early days to achieve a respectable score. Perhaps this was deliberate.
Had a hunt but couldn’t find the discussion. Deleted maybe.

Well, the most notorious member of all "didn’t have time for all this ABC nonsense" and never submitted any tunes at all as I recall.
So, it must be someone else you are talking about. 🙂

Ah, it was him after. 🙂
A bit of a brass neck as he never submitted any tunes himself….

Really fun re-reading that thread from Mr. G. Especially reading Ramiro’s list and remembering all the names, most of which are long gone now. This points out that a lot of the "Old Guard" are gone - there was a lot of really great discussion, argument, wisdom, humo(u)r, and camaraderie back in those days.

For comparison sake, my ‘S factor’ number is really low compared to a lot of the people who ‘built’ this forum into something special:

{10[(2x18)+3+64]+3658}/11048 = .424 (pretty lame and pathetic compared to, say, Mr Harmon, who was somewhere around 600 times as much of a ‘factor’ as I am… 😉)

Some chap called Johannes J was in the list. I don’t know what happened to him… 😉

Oh yeah, I remember him… bit of a downer, that guy 😛

Notice, I didn’t even make that list 9 years ago… I do still talk with a handful of the people in the top 20 of that list (whom are no longer active in the board…)

It used to be funnier. I know a lot of people didn’t like the rows, but I’m one of those prurient types who found them entertaining. Better than daytime TV.

I’m still here although I mostly lurk.

I think things have calmed down as it’s become normal to have an online extension to your personality. There was a similar thing in pipe bands in the early 2000s, a message board that was pretty wild at times with some hairy - and hilarious - posting going on. Perhaps inevitably the long arm of the law got involved and it disappeared.

Posted by .

So I’m definitely not Old Guard: 23308 - thanks Conical Bore

Cheers, Mr. House. I was hoping you might chip in an interesting video. Johnny Jay, I appreciate your clip too. DrSilverSpear, yes, it used to be funnier.

Posted by .

I don’t recall this site ever being funny. Snarky and nasty, yes. Those days are gone and I am gratified.

Posted by .

Ailin, the board was snarky and nasty; I don’t think anyone can deny that fact. But that is only a glimpse of what was happening.

Posted by .

It used to be great fun. It has become rather po-faced of late.

Ailin said:

"I don’t recall this site ever being funny. Snarky and nasty, yes. Those days are gone and I am gratified."

I agree. I made a concerted effort to uphold the house rule: "be civil". Sure enough, that meant that people who indulged in bad behaviour were suspended, or they left because they thought they should be able to say whatever they liked, regardless of how mean it was, without consquences.

But for the people lamenting the disappearance of the loud-mouthed contingent—the people who always defend bad behaviour as "only slagging" or "just a bit of fun" (when it clearly isn’t fun for people on the receiving end)—what you might not be noticing is the rise in new voices. People who were previously intimidated by the tone here (and by the bullying voices that dominated the discussions) can now speak more freely. I, for one, am very glad to welcome their voices.

Those of you longing for the old days of mean-spirited snarkiness should know that you are being nostalgic for a time when many people were too intimidated to join in any discussions, preferring to lurk instead. I’m not feeling very nostalgic for that time.

"It used to be great fun", says Yhall House. Fun for who? Certainly for the people who didn’t feel welcome to contribute.

Those days are gone forever. Live with it.

I’m very glad that everyone agrees that the tone of discussions has changed (whether you agree with that change or not). But I also think that the best discussions are about the music. So let’s knock this meta-discussion on the head and get back to playing some tunes.

I’m closing down this discussion. As an alternative—and a bit of fun—here’s a random tune for you to play instead…

https://thesession.org/tunes/random