Bothy Band - Ballisodare Folk Festival 1978

Bothy Band - Ballisodare Folk Festival 1978

A few months ago, someone posted on youtube the audio of a concert by the Bothy Band at the Ballisodare Folk Festival 1978. The Bothy Band’s concert starts in the second half of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5X54od2qU

The quality of the audio is fairly good for being recorded on a handheld tape recorder.

The set list is as follows:

44:30 - The Kesh Jig / The Swaggering Jig (Give Us a Drink of Water) / The Flower of the Flock / Famous Ballymote

48:23 - The Butterfly

52:42 - Martin Wynne’s / The Longford Tinker

56:35 - Casadh an tSúgáin

1:02:30 - Black Is the Color of My True Love’s Hair / The Bush in Bloom / Martin Ansboro’s (solo by Matt Molloy)

1:06:48 - The Morning Star / The Fisherman’s Lilt / The Drunken Landlady / The Fisherman’s Lilt

1:11:37 - The Old Torn Petticoat (hornpipe & reel) / The Bank of Ireland (Kevin Burke & Mícheál Ó Domhnaill)

1:16:20 - Old Hag You Have Killed Me / Dinny Delaney’s / Morrison’s

1:23: 20 - O’Neill’s March (a/k/a Tralee Gaol)

There aren’t really that many surprises on the recording. The only tune that they never released on an album was O’Neill’s March, which is actually this tune:

https://thesession.org/tunes/1113

Matt Molloy’s solo features a slow air he recorded on "The Gathering" and a couple reels he later recorded on "Heathery Breeze." And Kevin Burke’s solo is most of a track that he recorded a year later with Mícheál Ó Domhnaill on "Promenade" (he didn’t precede The Old Torn Petticoat with Walsh’s Hornpipe at this concert).

Posted by .

Re: Bothy Band - Ballisodare Folk Festival 1978

I was there in the audience. By a strange coincidence, I was discussing this festival with Cathal McConnell who was there with "The Boys Of The Lough" two weekends ago. After a whole day sitting in a field listening to excellent music, we went to the nearby village of Collooney for chips and a few pints. We heard some flutes tuning up in the back room of the pub - stuck our heads in to find Cathal with Seamus Tansey and Matt Molloy. That may well have been a unique flute meeting, I’m not at all sure the 3 of them ever came together again all in the same place at the same time. In the right place at the right time , or what ? 🙂
[ "Archivist" - if you see this, I’ll be sending you the recordings tomorrow ].

Posted by .

Re: Bothy Band - Ballisodare Folk Festival 1978

"We heard some flutes tuning up in the back room of the pub - stuck our heads in to find Cathal with Seamus Tansey and Matt Molloy. That may well have been a unique flute meeting, I’m not at all sure the 3 of them ever came together again all in the same place at the same time. In the right place at the right time , or what" Kenny.

Yes, we were in Tubbercurry some years ago and wandered into the hotel there as we heard flute playing. It was Seamus Tansey and Peter Horan, sitting there talking and discussing tunes, "Well I’d play it like this …" It was fascinating, we stayed back in the lobby and listened for an hour or so, not wanting to intrude. Then we went to the bar, and they said hello when they saw our instrument cases, pipes and fiddle, but thankfully they didn’t ask us to join them. It was inspiring just to listen to them playing and talking about music. There was an American lady with a metal boehm flute sitting with them at the table. She didn’t play, I think she too was awestruck and just glad to be there.