Names of whistle players around during the ‘pure drop’ days?

Names of whistle players around during the ‘pure drop’ days?

Nearly all the players I find on youtube videos are the contemporary speed merchants and twiddlers.

I have been watching a few come west along the road episodes and the playing is so much purer in those days but unfortunately whistle players seem very few and far between.

I know there have been a couple of players which I have seen on there- vinnie kilduff, mary bergin, micho russel, some other random dude, but I don’t know any other names to search.

I am looking for the equivalent whistlers of the straight ahead driving style found in donegal fiddlers; but on CWATR nearly every player, regardless of area, has a much more stripped down and driving style compared to the soulless play of today; it’s just there are very few whistle players I can find. I will come across some eventually I guess and I am still enjoying watching the shows but I just wanted to see if there were any suggestions so I can get straight to the sauce though I will keep watching the shows for general enjoyment.

Re: Names of whistle players around during the ‘pure drop’ days?

Search for Tom McHale on Sound Cloud

Posted by .

I’ve always enjoyed Carmel Gunning’s playing.

The “modern vs ‘pure’ past” paradigm is always driving - driving people crazy for centuries! 😛

The quest for the non-existent ‘pure’ will go on relentlessly 😀

I second joe’ recommendation. I presume you are familiar with Brid O Donohue? And presumable Michael Russell?
But it’s Michael dwyer that is the name your looking for 🙂
And of course, there are bits of Willie Clancy and seamus Ennis playing whistle, rare but immensely valuable.
Check out the album :
The breeze from Erin .
it can be found for free online. It includes whistle of the highest caliber.

What’s the second tune Michael plays there?
I have his home made cassette the last 25yrs and various other bits and pieces from online .The Bodhran player on my page recording was a friend of his and they used to play together back in the day.
A great loss to the music world.

Sean Potts.

But … what and when were the ‘pure drop’ days of which you speak?

Posted by .

Thanks Kenny
By the pure drop I presume he’s referring to the TV series that morphed into come wesht along the road .

"Come Wesht Along the Road"

Am I to assume that the presenter was Sean Connery?