abc4j / handling abc notation in Java
Some time back I was looking for a Java library that would handle abc notation. There are lots of historical mentions of a library called abc4j around the internet, but it looks like it is no longer being actively developed or maintained.
All I can seem to find is the following:
- an old Google Code archive, which advises that abc4j only supports abc v1.6. The current version of abc is 2.1. (https://code.google.com/archive/p/abc4j/)
- a Google Group that hasn’t had a post since March 2015 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/abc4j)
- a fork of the abc4j project on GitHub, again with no recent changes (https://github.com/Sciss/abc4j)
- a handful of tutorials that seem to either not compile, or fail to work in some way. Admittedly I didn’t spend too much time troubleshooting.
I’m now looking again for a means of dealing with abc notation in Java.
My questions are:
1. Is anyone aware of abc4j being actively developed somewhere out there?
2. Is there any other decent (Java) alternative library for working with abc?
3. If I ‘rolled my own’, are there many people out there who would be interested in using it?
4. If I roll my own, I’m considering implementing only a subset of the abc standard that is relevant to notating Irish tunes. i.e. things like multiple voices, chords, lyrics etc. would all be out of scope. Would creating an ‘abcLite’ be a terrible idea?