Missing first audible note from abc notation in EasyABC on MacOS Sierra

Missing first audible note from abc notation in EasyABC on MacOS Sierra

I never noticed this problem with the OSX Snow Leopard that I used to use on the Mac. Things change of course and one learns to adapt or work around the problem. I haven’t got a true solution but I do have a work-around for the audibly missing first note:

X:1
T:250 to Vigo
M:4/4
L:1/8
C:Angus Grant
R:Reel
K:D
P:A
x !invisible!|\
|: "Bm"fBBA "D"BdFG- | "G"GBdB "A"Acec |1 "Bm"fBBA "D"BdFG- | "G"GABd "A"cBB2 :|2 "Bm"fBBA "D"BdFG- | "G"GAfe "A"dBB2 |]

Note that I’ve added an invisible rest and the code to make the bar invisible with a continuation backslash as a first line above the actual score. This makes the actual score move right a bit on the first line and messes up the positioning of the Part A descriptor but it does allow for the midi to get started on the right note. This is really only useful for those of us that use the midi output of an abc score for practice. Perhaps some of you will find this useful.

Re: Missing first audible note from abc notation in EasyABC on MacOS Sierra

EasyABC has never, to my knowledge, reliably played the first note on either my Mac (currently High Sierra but on any previous version either) or on my workshop W10 machine.

I see there is a note about a fix for this in v. 1.3.7.6
https://github.com/jwdj/EasyABC/blob/master/CHANGES
- MAC only: a delay was added before playing to fix first notes not being played

Does this happen for all abc file? Or does it only happen when 1 or more of the following are included ~ chords, repeats, R:fields, etc. ?

Posted by .

Ben, the first note isn’t played in EasyABC 1.3.5 and 1.3.7.7 regardless of whether there are chords included or not. Same with repeats and the R: field. A little experimentation with the work around I’ve provided reveals that it fails when the note length is x/32. At x/16 the beginning note will still play. I’d have to break out an old Mac from my closet to see if the same holds true for earlier versions of the Mac operating system. The reality is, it simply isn’t worth the effort. As I mentioned in the original post, it’s just a work-around that I use to help me get going on memorizing a tune. If there was a fix in 1.3.7.6 it doesn’t seem to there in 1.3.7.7. I tend to stick with the original version of EasyABC anyway although I’ll use either.

Thanks, Carl. Don’t know if my search will be helpful for anyone here but wanted to post what I found.
Cheers!

Posted by .

In addition to this problem (which I just endure), I’m having a more annoying one with EasyABC and Mac High Sierra (don’t Mac’s OSs just get steadily worse from Snow Leopard?): when I click on an abc file to start up EasyABC, I just get a blank screen. I must click a second time in order to get the file to load, leaving me with two EasyABC windows, one of which is blank. This problem is new with High Sierra. Once this has been done, I can usually click on other abc files and they will open correctly. Very strange.

Posted by .

I tried High Sierra and immediately backed out of it. Sierra is bad enough. I prefer the initial version of EasyABC and I have tried all of the others. EasyABC 1.3.5 always launches two windows (one blank) on Sierra. On Snow Leopard it did not. EasyABC 1.3.7.7 launches just one window on Sierra as it should but if you use both versions of EasyABC (and I do), the settings file gets stomped on unless you make a change in the python code. I’m not going to knock EasyABC - it’s a fantastic program considering the cost (free!). The problem lies with Apple and its continuing devolution of its operating system. I agree with your observation that everything after Snow Leopard appear to be getting steadily worse. Snow Leopard will probably go down in history as the epitome of the Mac operating systems just as Word 5.1a was acknowledged by MicroSoft’s own programmers as the best version of Word ever made. Companies don’t survive on well-crafted and stable products though and progress is spelled *profit* - not "Excellence". It’s appalling to see that programmers spend as much time as they do trying to overcome the consequences of changes made in the operating system instead of being able to concentrate on making improvements to the program itself.

I have a question: Does the midi sound in EasyABC require boosting the volume level of your Mac up to near maximum to be heard? I know I never had that problem under Snow Leopard but it’s really shocking to use the midi playback in EasyABC with Sierra and then listen to a sample in iTunes and get blasted out of your chair because the volume levels are so extremely different. This is something I’d like to resolve but I’m uncertain as to wear the actual problem lies.

Yes, the midi sound does require boosting up considerably and I’ve learned to be very careful when using it with Amazing Slow Downer, iTunes or QuickTime Player. Alas. Chet

Posted by .