Need help to find the tune

Need help to find the tune

Some time ago I saw a tune here. I can’t remember its name, but it was in D, it had C nat and there weren’t any F’s.

Posted by .

Re: Need help to find the tune

Did you see any F flats in it?
;)

Posted by .

No, not any F sharps, F nats or F flats :)

Posted by .

Were there any other notes in it, or just D and C natural?

Sorry for the above comment, Tat - but you’ll need to give us a bit more to go on. Where/how did you see the tune? In a YouTube clip? In abc format? In a recent discussion? Posted to the tunes database? Can you remember a fragment of it?

would it be possible for a D [or Dmix] tune not to have an F# in it somewhere?

Can you ‘spell hum’ it?
e.g. ‘doo doo dubie doo, diggely diggely doo dah’ or, perhaps ‘winga wangle winkie woo, winga wangle bong’.

https://thesession.org/tunes/185

There’s just one F near the start of the first setting of this tune and that’s not always played, a long E there being quite common.

Jim

Yes. But generally even though a note isn’t written in the tune, doesn’t mean it’s not played….. all sorts of stuff might not be in the melody but gets played nonetheless.
With most tunes it’s fairly simple to figure out what key /mode it’s in, by adding these notes and seeing if they sound right. So a little run up triplet for example, in the tune above, there it is, the F# . If you played it with f nat it would sound off, not right.

Sounds like Blarney Pilgrim. Wait: is this a serious question?

Where I’m from almost anybody would say "yeah, it’s that one tune!",,,and somebody in the room would know just what it was.

Sounds a bit pentatonic to me?

I’m thinking Blarney or Liscarroll, too. Do you remember if it was a jig or reel at least, Tat?

Thank you guys so much :)
I think it really was mairie’s wedding but I have totally forgotten about it, haha. But you gave me also a bunch of great tunes to learn!

Posted by .

…though in no way is Marie’s Wedding in D with C naturals, the c’s should always be sharp. There is a Scottish pipe version in A with the usual flattened 7th for that instrument but it is a major tune.

"…though in no way is Marie’s Wedding in D with C naturals, the c’s should always be sharp. There is a Scottish pipe version in A with the usual flattened 7th for that instrument but it is a major tune."

Bogman -

I’m a piper. The tune is in D on the pipes. And as played on the pipes, there are no Cs, whether sharp or natural, in the entire tune.

Matt

My mistake, the tune is indeed in D in the pipes but finishes on an A. It doesn’t matter that there are no c’s - it is still D major - not D mix . Or as a piper do think you know better?

"Or as a piper do think you know better?"

Not at all. I was simply pointing out that there are no Cs in the tune. And yes, the tune is in D ma. I was not suggesting otherwise.

Your response was pretty snarky, especially given that you were dead wrong in your authoritative
"… no way is Marie’s Wedding in D …" and "… there is a Scottish version in A …"

I meant no way is it it D mix - with reference to the c naturals. I should be more careful with my words when you’re about.

@Bogman and Tervs:
The setting I linked to does indeed have c natural (it’s a setting in G, right?). However, Tat stated that it’s in Dmix or Ddor (which doesn’t make a lot of sense), and based on that reasoning, I actually guessed right.

I’ve heard people announce a D setting as A major, maybe because it starts on A…

Oh, the humanity.

If its a G setting D mix makes a lot of sense, it would be compelling , the tune is based on the D and has that strong C below it. Everything indicates its in D mix…. except that its in G maj :-)
But if as on my chanter the drones are in D , the tune is based around D , it IS effectively in D mix …..it doesnt and cant resolve to the G Just sounds wierd if you try :-)
Yet if you try the chords to back it, its very hard to make it work in D mix, while in G major… it works fine.
Strange tune…. , like the first 2 other I linked…..(not king of the pipers as thats D maj and D. Mx) not quite so easy to classify .