Who’s going to the O’Flaherty Retreat in 2018?

Who’s going to the O’Flaherty Retreat in 2018?

After three fellow Dallas-area trad musicians (including my fiddle teacher) recommended the O’Flaherty Irish Music Retreat in October, I did a bit of research on it and decided to sign up. I’ll only have to take off a couple of days from work and the price seems more than fair given the quality of instructors they have lined up.

Who else is going this year? Anyone been before? If so, any recommendations on what to bring et cetera? I’m signed up for intermediate fiddle for the three days and really looking forward to it. I’m thinking of investing in a dedicated digital recorder and bringing an extra set of strings just in case. I will probably also bring my acoustic guitar for impromptu sessions, to perhaps have a go at accompaniment should the occasion arise.

Re: Who’s going to the O’Flaherty Retreat in 2018?

I’m teaching the Fundamentals class for Tenor Banjo and Mandolin, and I’m looking forward to it! I have never been before, but I’ve wanted to go many times, because they always have a great lineup of instructors and performances. Look me up when you get there, and maybe we’ll have a session together… :-D

Right on! I love the sound of banjos and mandolins. I’m sure we’ll meet up in a session or three while there!

I’ll be going again. First-rate instruction and great value.

You’ll want a recording device for sure; I just use my iphone and take videos.

The campus is large and a bit spread-out, so comfortable walking shoes and a light jacket in case of rain.

There are a number of sessions every night, you won’t have any problem finding others to play with.

The food is decent for an event of this size, but it is cafeteria food. By the 2nd or 3rd day, my wife and I are ready to go to a restaurant in Midlothian (though there’s not a lot to choose from).

See you guys there! I’ll be the old bald guy with a white beard, playing a flat set of pipes.

I’m going for the concertina with Jack Talty. This will be my 8th year. Great idea to bring a good recorder, because there is a lot there you will want to record and listen the rest of the year. Do not bring any alcohol (it’s held at a Salvation Army Retreat). Great people, location, facilities, management, concerts, sessions, and, the food is pretty good, too. Exhausting weekend, but something to look forward to every year. Often my favorite part is the lectures and discussions by the many faculty members. Look forward to meeting you there.

Jiml

Posted by .

I’m going for my fourth time, and I’m already counting down — it’s a great retreat! Definitely bring a recording device (like you, I am probably going to invest in a dedicated recorder because my phone always runs out of space). Extra strings are a good idea, and I usually tuck a black garbage bag into my case just in case it rains (came in handy one year). Comfortable shoes for walking, and casual comfy clothes.

I’m also taking the intermediate fiddle class — which instructor will you be with? (also curious - who’s your fiddle teacher?)

I’m signed up for Liam O’Connor’s classes. Looking forward to it, I really enjoy his playing.

I just started taking lessons recently from Michelle Feldman, met her at a Trinity Hall session a month ago, very glad I did. I was self-taught for the past ten years and I figured it was time to step it up a notch.

I’ve gone the last two years. I’m going to miss this year. I’m heading to Donegal in September and I don’t think I can do both.

This will be my second year attending, and last year I had an amazing time. I was really surprised at how relaxing it was, even though I was bouncing between classes, hurrying to make the meals (which were surprisingly decent) and staying up late at the hotel drinking and listening to the sessions, it still somehow managed to be an extremely serene and relaxing experience.

Also I will be taking the Tenor Banjo/Mandolin fundamentals class, so I’ll see you there Reverend!

Looking forward to meeting all of you!