Request

Request

I’ve been listening to an album called "Ellipsis" by a band called Fourth Moon, and really like their music. However, some pieces aren’t transposed,

Posted by .

Re: Request

One assumes you posted before finishing typ

Yes, don’t quite know how that happened.

Posted by .

"transposed" ? Did you mean "transcribed", ie "the dots" posted here ? That only happens when someone takes the time to do it. I’m sure there are people here who would be grateful if you were to do it yourself. Best of luck - they are fairly complicated tunes.

https://thesession.org/recordings/5885

Posted by .

"…they are fairly complicated tunes…."
It doesn’t seem so to me. The melodies appear to be quite simple. Repetitive lines with some slight variations or key changes. The arrangements can be complicated but that’s not what the OP was asking after. They are all excellent, accomplished musicians, highly skilled, and I appreciate what they are doing, but it’s not my cup of tea. I much prefer pure drop over Celtic mood music.

I think Kenny’s comment was more of an observation about the way that The OP went about asking for help.

Transcribing music to the dots or ABC is not a skill which everyone possesses to the same extent and I, for one, am grateful for any assistance or previous efforts made here by others. I wouldn’t expect it though but I don’t think that was The OP’s intention. The post just wasn’t too clear.

I’ve posted a few tunes myself but these are ones with which I’m already very familiar. While I learn many tunes "by ear", my first instinct is not in transcribing them for future reference as a matter of course. It’s too much like hard work for me although I appreciate that many members will find this quite easy to do.

I think Kenny was perhaps referring to material which somehow doesn’t fit the usual metres, e.g. stuff in 3/2 (this is a good example of a tune transcribed as a reel when it’s effectively a "slip reel" - https://thesession.org/tunes/13981 ) or 7/8 (maybe Ímar recorded the one I’m thinking of).

If you’re used to tune types beyond reels and jigs and the likes, non-standard phrases and harmonies/voicings/chords you wouldn’t encounter on Paddy in the Smoke, fine, you can learn everything by ear after a few listens.

Compared to the repertoire on any recording Mohsen Amini is involved in, I think Flook and Mike McGoldrick are rather traditional. :D

When I asked on their Facebook page whether I could post transcriptions of their tunes in the session I got a no for an answer.

Posted by .

Who said "no" ? Did you ask them why ?

Posted by .