I would like some names of good trad melody players on bouzouki.

I would like some names of good trad melody players on bouzouki.

Then it will be off to YouTube to see if they’re there and what I can pick up by watching and listening.

Re: I would like some names of good trad melody players on bouzouki.

I’m primarily a box player but also fool around with mandolins and banjos. Over the years I’ve owned citterns and bouzoukis and have played melody on them, but with different tunings and using a capo. There are many bouzouki players you can find on youtube, but you will see a lot of them with a capo because it’s easier playing fast on the frets closer to the body.
Check out the duo Itchy Fingers for some great playing, but not exclusively Irish.
Here’s one of their videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aOQ2P8hR1c

UncleAlan

That gentleman is really good. I do my best to play his "Pipe On The Hob, Cliffs of Moher" set. Can’t get to quite his speed though.

Gerald Trimble recorded a bouzouki/cittern album in the 90’s - cant remember the name of it.

"First Flight" - a top notch album. I’ve got "Paddy O’Brien’s, Scatter the Mud, Arthur Darley’s" (actually "Boys of Lough Gowna, The, Scatter the Mud II, Arthur Darley’s") down pretty well note wise but I’ll be working on getting it sounding right for probably the rest of my natural life. It would be fantastic to learn the whole album. Not gonna happen, but it would be nice.

I’d certainly recommend Gerald Trimble’s ‘First Flight’ album. I believe he used a Sobell 10 string mandocello to record it.

There are actually very few that I’m aware of, and only one, if you specifically mean Irish music on - literally -bouzouki, and not its’ various musical relatives. See here :
https://thesession.org/recordings/5201

It’s not dance music, but a very fine collection of airs. There are currently 2 copies of the CD on sale on eBay for under £3.00.

Posted by .

The gentleman is blushing!

"Gerald Trimble recorded a bouzouki/cittern album in the 90’s - cant remember the name of it."

Actually, First Flight came out around 1983. I remember, as I purchased my Sobell that year and Trimble was my hero. Got the chance to play a couple of tunes with him when he was briefly in Vermont a year or two later.

‘First Flight ’ yes that was it -I thought it was 90’s cos a friend gave me a cassette of it around ‘93, a cracking selection of tunes. As my old tape collection is either lost or unplayable I’d be glad if anyone could post some tracks off it, I’d love to catch some of those tunes again.

Ah, Gerald Trimble!
He used to be a familiar face in The UK and in Edinburgh too during the early eighties. I’ve not seen him since then. We both stayed at the same B & B in Kelsall(Royal Oak) once at Chester Folk Festival where the landlady was extremely fierce and imposed a midnight curfew on all the guests. However, she must have liked me as I got permission to use a secret entrance via the fire escape.

thanks Kenny, I must have missed that back in the dark days before Spring. Well that’s my late night listening sorted.

I spent a very enjoyable hour last night re-visiting Gerald Trimbles First Flight [thanks again Kenny]
and made me wonder why in over 30 years no one else has produced anything to equal it? Theres certainly enough good zouk/cittern/octave mando players out there but the instrument seems to naturally adopt the ‘second line’ position with the fiddles, flutes, accordians etc out front. There are a few exceptions ,like yer man in the video above, but its very much a rarity…………..

Having been reminded about Gerald Trimble, I thought I’d try and see what he’s doing these days.

It appears that he’s moved away from "our kind of music" to a certain extent but still doing some very interesting things. One of his latest projects is with the *viola da gamba*. There’s an interesting interview to be found on his site..

http://www.geraldtrimble.com/

Also, while reading this thread, I remembered a previous discussion..

https://thesession.org/discussions/27597

These instruments do appear to be less popular in sessions these days and I wonder why.

I take my short scale zouk to sessions as it does double duty, if I know the tune well i’ll play it, if I dont know it so well i’ll play backup - but it wouldn’t be my first choice of melody instrument. On those odd occasions when I’m due to be leading a session i’ll take the tenor banjo!

Libby McCrohan from Dublin

Gerald Trimble also released "Heartland Messenger" and "Crosscurrents" in the 80’s which also showcase his phenomenal playing and interesting esoteric tunes. Enjoy them if you can find them.

this last vid is fine music but it shows the zouk in its usual role , eg backing the fiddle…………….

Robin Bullock, Gerard Trimble, Joseph Sobol (Citternalia)

There’s always the Dragon Reels album by Roger Landes.

I really need something/someone to watch. I’m interested in the mechanics the better players are using. I will be taking a listen to all of the suggestions though,

Though Alec Finn (brother of Gervase Phinn, the School Inspector’s answer to James Herriot!) is best known for his backing work with De Danann, he is also an excellent soloist, so I am surprised that he has not yet been mentioned here. He is good and his work is on YouTube. There is also discussion of his playing on our own Mustard Board at https://thesession.org/discussions/17762 .

I posted a link to his solo CD above 4 days ago.

Posted by .

Kenny - I do apologise, but you didn’t actually mention his name in your post. I’m glad he’s so high up the list!
Thank you, Chris B.

No worries, Chris - I should have mentioned Alec Finn by name as well as posting the link. While I think about it, Ruari O’Gorman is another who plays 6-string Greek bouzouki, but only for accompaniments as far as I know.
Here’s Alec on my favourite "De Dannan" clip :
https://youtu.be/aTQMbSjdgZA

Posted by .

I remember there were a few zouk duets on early De Dannan recordings, anyone know if it was Alec Finn or Charlie Piggott playing lead melody?

From the Canadian release of "De Dannan’s" first recording :
"One of the most distinctive DE DANANN sounds is that of the bouzouki duets. Charlie [ Piggott ]’s banjo and bouzouki playing is here coupled with the contrasting style of Alec Finn’s. Alec plays a six-string bouzouki which he tunes modally in the original Greek manner. He has adapted the Greek characterisation of melodic and rhythmic inventiveness to the Irish way of strong, single line playing which transcends all notion of mere accompaniment. It is his free-ranging playing, unobtrusively weaving among the other instruments, which gives the rhythmic buoyancy so central to the DE DANANN sound".
From sleeve notes by Jackie Small.

Posted by .