B/c c#/c accordions played together

B/c c#/c accordions played together

Hello this is likely a silly question but a friend has an accordion which is c#/c tuned I am thinking of getting one that I have seen for sale but is b/c tuned can these be played together or will they sound of

Re: B/c c#/c accordions played together

If you press the right buttons, they can play together, if you don’t, they won’t.

I realise that sounds slightly flippant but basically: both instruments have all the right notes, but in different places. BUT you can play each instrument as if it was the other and it will still work, BUT it will be in the wrong key.

You almost certainly do want B/C though. C/C# sounds like it should be logical but it turns out to be fiddlier than you might think.

Posted by .

Ok thank you for your help. That’s what I was thinking but didn’t want to go & get the one I saw and be wrong.

If you have a B/C and your friend has a C/C#, you won’t be able to help each other or learn fingerings from each other - except for tunes in the key of C or D minor. For those tunes you could both play up and down your C row and be perfectly compatible.

However if you want to play tunes in their usual keys you’ll both need to go beyond the C row into the other row, and there your experiences would be very different - because the other notes will be in different places and the bellows direction to sound them will nearly always be opposite. So the possibilities for mutual help will be very limited.

As Calum says, C/C# is an awkward system for Irish music. It really is! In my opinion the best way to use a C/C# is as training wheels for either the B/C or C#/D system, which are much more suitable. Your friend could do this by using B/C fingering, in which case all the tunes will come out a semitone sharp, or using C#/D fingering, in which case everything will be a semitone sharp. But of course is he/she does that, you won’t be able to play together if you have a B/C.

Confused? Bottom line, if you are planning on learning together, get the same system. Otherwise, your friend will soon come up against the difficulties of using a C/C# for Irish music in the regular keys.

No doubt his friend is playing BC system but likes the sound of Eb…

> his friend

I mean, Fiona hasn’t actually mentions what pronouns she prefers, but I’m gonna go ahead and assume it’s probably not ‘he’…

Posted by .

Maybe your time would be better spent practicing accordion than pedantically moderating this discussion… Fiona seems perfectly capable of naming the pronouns that Fiona prefers.

Maybe, but my neighbours need to have a few hours of quiet in which to sleep or they start getting all whiny…

Posted by .

Clearly we new box nomenclature - He/She, She/She# and She#/Dee

The bass notes will be exclusionary