Watson flutes

Watson flutes

I’m thinking about getting a 6 keyed flute made and am trying to get peoples opinions of some Irish makers? Thanks.

Re: Watson flutes

Glenn Watson makes nice flutes. So does Martin Doyle. Doyle’s flutes are great. Those two would be at the top of my list for Irish makers. I think that Hammy has closed his books and Murray is in retreat.

I have serviced a number of Glen Watson flutes.
I find them excellently made and play well.
What really counts is if the flute suits you and what you want from the instrument, musically and technically.
There are a large number of makers now, you lucky players and they are all very good.
I could name a shed load of them but I don’t want to miss any out !
To be honest it’s down to the player in the end. I have serviced most makes and sadly I get my "sound" every time ! If only I could find the flute that makes me sound like ……… (insert the name of your favourite player.)
Happy hunting !

Thanks a lot fellas. Im even looking at geert lejinne flutes to..

"….looking at geert lejinne [sic]…"

I thought your intent was to buy from an Irish maker.

It was David but am open minded on it.

Good price to them O’Brian flutes are.

Watson flute it is : )

I have a keyless Watson and it is an excellent instrument. I am waiting on a six key from Brittany flute maker Solen Lesouef. I have an Eb mopane from her that is a joy to play, and her prices are very reasonable.. She is not so well known as Doyle or Hamilton, but is well worth investigating.

Will do thanks sid.

You recently posted about your keyless Lehart flute- why not look at his 6 key models? Pretty much the consensus for best value in a new 6 keyed wooden flute, and in my estimation (as a somewhat biased player of a Lehart flute), he’s in the same conversation as the names mentioned here in regards to quality and craftsmanship.

I agree that both Solen Lesouf and Jils Lehart are makers worth getting in touch with. Both are excellent makers. Lehart’s six-key flute is a bargain.

Have decided on glens 6 keyed flute…..and a solen keyless D. I’m sure they are all excellent and I like the idea of having a couple of diff makes..I’m sure I can’t go wrong with any of them.ha e gotten some great feedback about all the above mentioned….ha e to say ….since I started the flute it has really gripped me and I practice for hours all the time..poor banjo isn’t getting a look in.haha.

T’were me, I’d reverse that and get Glenn’s keyless and Lesouef’s 6-key.
But either way you’ll be happy.

I’ve been playing a Lesouef since about Christmas. I’ve owned Lehart, Olwell, and Noy flutes as well. The Lesouef can’t really be faulted. Excellent flutes and much less expensive than some other makers. I got the keyless one I have for 500 quid used and it’s made of beautifully figured boxwood.
I wouldn’t hesitate to order a keyed flute from Solen.

Posted by .

Looking into all the suggestions lads thanks a million .

I checked into Solen Lesoeuf flute after seeing the discussion above. There’s a video of Aoife Granville playing one of her flutes.
Prives look very reasonable in comparison with peers.
I’ll ask her directly but what is the waiting time experience ??
Thanks Rose.

When I spoke with her in December a keyless flute was around 7 Months and a keyed around 14 Months.

Posted by .

The original poster mentioned he was "even looking" at Geert Lejeune flutes, but after that he seems to have dropped off the names so I’d just like to throw in my unsolicited pennyworth on behalf of his flutes. I’ve tried several and have one. I love it.

I found Geert easy to deal with, flexible and comparatively affordable. The flute has a semi-lined head and for the sound I find it reliable and forgiving. He made it according to my configuration (e.g. C sharp but no C - I was on a budget!) and seemed to enjoy the challenge. He delivered almost within time.

Ya I was in touch with solen…..16 months for keyed flute.. Have ordered a keyless D of glen..and a keyless D of solen… I’ll decide from the 3 of them. After listening to all replays I can’t go wrong with any of the makers ..