Say It

Say It

The tune, "Si Beag Si Mor". Is "beag" pronounced, "bag" or "byug" as a YT comment suggests?

Re: SAY IT

Always heard it called ‘beg’ in this tune but in the normal course of the language beag would be ‘byug’
So I always wondered! Looking forward to more knowledgeable replies.

It ‘properly’ should be ‘Sí Bheag, Sí Mhór’.

In ‘School Irish’, we’d have been taught something like ‘Shee Vyug, Shee Vore’. But if you were a real Gaelgeoir from Connacht or Ulster, you’d probably say Shee Vheg.

As to meaning, small unnatural looking hills or hillocks are sometimes called such names : little fairy mound or hill, big fairy mound or hill. Sometimes these are burial mounds and more often just natural parts of the land.

Posted .

In my poor University Gaelic (Scottish) it would be something like shee vek shee vor.

Irish I know nothing about.

I know someone who pronounces it "She Begs for More"……

What is probably true is that at least 90% of us pronounce it wrongly.
And seeing it written as Sheebeg Sheemore just gives me the shivers!

"In ‘School Irish’, we’d have been taught something like ‘Shee Vyug, Shee Vore’."

In ‘real’ Irish (i.e. that spoken by native speakers in the Gaeltacht), would there be a difference between the pronunciation of ‘bh’ (as in ‘bheag’) and ‘mh’ (as in ‘mhor’)? Or is the difference in spelling merely grammatical? (In Welsh, both ‘b’ and ‘m’ mutate to ‘f’ [pronounced "v"]: bach=>fach; mawr=>fawr.)

I’ve heard /v/ and /w/ for both sounds, sometimes you can notice differences due to slender/broad vowels.

I simply love this well known tune, and never really tire of playing it on the flute for some reason. It’s just as well it’s played more accurately than it’s pronounced. :)

Winston- do we know each other? I thought I was the only heretic to regularly use this pronunciation …

She beg she more. More or less

I must really be a heretic, I would rather hear it pronounced than played. At least considering how it’s played locally.

Ah, you’ve not heard our version then, Callison! In 3 parts, which we keep for the final time through: lovely harmony and contrapuntal stuff going on.

on the subject of well -known tune titles in Irish, ‘Tabhair dom do Labh’ I ‘ve always heard as
‘ta-hare dom doe lawve’ - does that sound about right?

‘tabhair’ is more usually pronouced a bit like ‘tore’ with the t being somewhere between an English ‘t’ and a ‘th’, and ‘do’ is pronounced more like ‘duh’.