Irish music in or near Wichita?

Irish music in or near Wichita?

I’m anticipating a move next month to Wichita, Kansas. Before putting my feet on the ground, I thought I would put out some feelers here, too.

Do we have any players in or near Wichita? I’ll be living out on the west side of town by Tyler and 13th but happy to drive elsewhere for a pub with some good music. The sessions search function here on the site didn’t return much outside of Kansas City, which is obviously too far!

Love to hear from you.

Re: Irish music in or near Wichita?

I’ve never been to Wichita, but I know a couple of fiddle players from there; they are both in a band called Knocknasheega (http://knocknasheega.com). If nothing else, go to one of their gigs and talk to them — they may know of some sessions in that area!

Off the subject, but I’m sure you know about the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield … you’ll be close

Yes! I know all about Walnut Valley and look forward to it! Have you been?

Meanwhile, I’m in town tomorrow night for a few interviews so I’ll do some poking around afterward and ask a few questions.

Shamrock Lounge looks good.

I am pretty sure you’ll be starting any session there might be in Wichita…unless there is a house session scene I am not aware of.

Your neighbor to the NE in Lawrence, KS (feel free to drive up for our session Sunday nights at Henry’s Upstairs).

Eric

UPDATE, just found out about this: Mead’s Corner Jam
430 E Douglas, Wichita, KS

1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Mondays
Start: 7:00 pm
End: 9:00 pm

This jam plays a variety of music including Celtic, contra dance tunes, old time tunes, etc. Newcomers should come to listen before attempting to play in the jam. This jam will not play on major holidays.

Ah!

I saw a mention of that somewhere on the web (don’t remember where), posted in January.

I was hired for the position I interviewed for, so I’ll be in town permanently starting next week, and I’ll sure to stop in and ask.

And Jayhawk, hello, by the way! I’ll shoot you a line if we’re ever up in the Lawrence area.

And by the way, the first time I was in Wichita last December, we met some family for coffee and dessert at Mead’s and it’s a great cafe. Plus, the back rooms are rather cavernous, I can see how it would make a good venue for a jam.

Please do shoot me a line if you are up in Lawrence. Apart from the Sunday night sessions, I am always up for hosting a house session. Welcome to KS!

gravelwalks,

You may have learned there is no Irish session in Wichita. The jam at Mead’s Corner has moved to Damm music, and they play tunes from the sheet some of traditional origin and some of modern origin. I’ve been playing fiddle in Wichita for 10 years, currently with a band called Appalachian Sky. Though we specialize in Appalachian tunes from the Potomac Highlands, we also play Irish tunes sometimes. My guitar player and I have considered starting a trad Irish only session as an aside to our other interests. If you’d like to meet up for some Irish tunes with us sometime I can be reached at shawncravermusic@gmail.com.

-Shawn