Buffalo, NY Session Scene

Buffalo, NY Session Scene

My wife and I are moving from Virginia to the Buffalo (NY) area. Does anyone in these forums know anything at all about Irish (and Old Time) sessions in the Buffalo area? I’d appreciate all the help you can give me. Thanks

Re: Buffalo, NY Session Scene

Welcome to Western New York. First get a snow shovel lol. There is a very good session at Nietzsches 248 Allen St. from 4:30-7:30 every Saturday. I have been there a few times the musicians are excellent in my opinion, im just an observer though.

I played at the Nietzsche’s session in Buffalo last month when I was visiting friends there. It was an enjoyable session with a variety of players, instruments, and skill levels, combined with some fun songs and an engaged crowd of punters. So it made for a very enjoyable evening!

Punters?

Punter = slang for ‘customer’

Nietsche’s is fun; players are inviting and approachable. I try to make it whenever I’m in Buffalo on a weekend. Also some ceilis down at the Irish Center in South Buffalo — hasn’t been a session there in a while though. Get in touch with the Wynne Branch Comhaltas to get in the loop for ceilis and any new sessions happening.

Batavia is halfway between our cities (I’m in Rochester now, used to live in B-lo), the 3rd Sunday session at O’Lacy’s is a good time.

If you make it out to Rochester and its suburbs, we have several sessions as well!

I used to visit Nietzsches about once a year when we’d go visit my wife’s relatives. It’s just about my favorite session anywhere. It’s a combination of good players that are also welcoming and never seem to try to play obscure tunes or play really fast reels that sometimes exclude others. The owner is usually there and goes out of his way to welcome and recognize the musicians and encourages the patrons to put money in the tip jar. The last time they even gave a cut though I tried my best to decline. I also met the flute maker Paddy Ward there and got to try his Radall Carte which I ended up ordering and now play as one of my two main flutes (I also have a Olwell Pratten keyless - I still can’t decide which I like better). He’s a very good player and a quiet gentleman. I believe he comes and goes as a semi-regular player. There is a singer (trained by the sound of his voice) that I always saw there that brought in a huge pot of Irish stew and home made bread for everyone. He lead a song and about a dozen patrons contributed their own verse. The patrons clap for every song and keep their conversations lower than the music and never talk over songs. The feeling of generosity about the place is unmatched. If I where able to create a perfect session I would model it after Nietzshes. I feel happy and jealous for you.

I am a native of Buffalo, but have lived most of my life away. When I get back I always try to get to the session at Nietzsches . It is a very friendly session, with a good crowd and a mix of players. I have not been to the Batavia or Rochester sessions, but knowing many of the musicians I am sure they are good sessions also. Summers in Buffalo are the best. I loved winter, too, but then I loved to ski and skate, etc. There is so much going on in the city and area now. Even the New York Times has noticed!

Sincere thanks to all who responded to my post re: Buffalo, NY Session Scene. Sounds like I’m going to fit right in at the sessions around there. Our house down here (in Virginia) goes on the market July 19. See y’all soon, I hope.