Rad Trad

Rad Trad

I’m building up a definitive collection of modern, edgy, powerful trad!!!!

What else missing from my list????

- Rura
- Fourth Moon
- Imar
- East Pointers
- Damien Okane
- Talisk
- Coig
- Treacherous Orchestra

Re: Rad Trad

Calum Stewart
Cuig
Heron Valley
and a couple of thousand others.

Christopher Robin: what is your list?
Is it tunes, players, recordings or obscure dances?!

Humph - you can keep your ‘modern, edgy, powerful trad’!

Posted .

It’s not a very Irish list, is it?

Posted by .

In some parts of Scotland, "Radge Trad" might be a more appropriate term. 🙂

I don’t think it’s too helpful to categorise young players and bands in this way though. There are many fine younger musicians/groups capable of playing our kind of music(Both Irish and Scottish and beyond) with great sensitivity and skill. Not all are of the "high octane", "hell for leather" kind and even the majority of the players who do this can also participate in the more traditional styles too when it suits.

I looked up all the op’s list on YouTube. They are all over rehearsed, over played, over done versions of non-descript ‘tunes’ ( with a tendency towards Brian Kelly-esque over enthusiastic jammy/ prog rock-ism). Fab festival goer pleasers I’m sure! Play to the gallery in extremis!!!
I generally and regularly hear better, more energetic and MORE TUNEFUL trad Irish music at standard sessions in pubs in London.

Good grief Yhaal House. Are you completely unaware that everyone doesn’t share your taste? Many other people do enjoy albums, performances, shows, etc, and in many cases they enjoy simple sessions too. If these guys came and played trad at your "standard sessions in pubs in London" you’d get your eyes and your ears seriously opened.

‘albums, performances, shows, etc’: precisely!! Smoke, mirrors and show biz.

Haha, I do like your efforts towards maximum controversy Yhaal House. Maybe dumping recorded music and everyone piling into their local session to learn the Kesh - during - the session is the way forward 🙂

aldoc

Posted by .

YT search, "Speed Folk". Bands I like that my fit your request: Omnia, Covus Corax, Wulgmut. Certainly not Irish but represent trad from other cultures.

Try adding:

Réalta
Goitse
Solas
John McSherry
FullSet
Beoga

There’s tons more, of course. I find a lot of it enjoyable, but usually in small doses, mixed in with more music toward the trad end of the spectrum…

a couple of Aussie trad’ish bands
Sunas
Simpson three

Imar formed after the members regularly met at the same session. And I can confirm that they can play session tunes very tunefully and to an extremely high standard.

They are all good players in these bands who are perfectly capable of holding their own in a session.
However, we won’t know how truly good they are until they play more slowly with feeling and listen to them performing a wider variety of music.

Of course, much of that is subjective but certain musicians have shone even more with their slower and more subtle works, e.g. Duncan Chisholm(Good as he was in Wolfstone), the late Johnny Cunningham(Silly Wizard at 100mph) to name but just a couple.

However, if your only interest is "Rad Trad", then you only need to compare the players on that basis. While they will all be able to do much more than this, their skills will also vary in other aspects of trad music I’m sure.

Those kids should get off my lawn. :D

"However, we won’t know how truly good they are until they play more slowly with feeling and listen to them performing a wider variety of music." Though I agree with the sentiment JJ, the statement suggests they haven’t already done that. It suggests the only setting they play in is performance or in the eye of the general public. It simply isn’t the case. What people are seeing and wrongly judging them on are performances, not what they’re actually like or capable of as traditional musicians.

Yes, I agree. I’m quite sure they will all be capable of doing the above but some of them will still shine more than others.

Re: Rad Trad ~ (performing a wider variety of music)

bogman, that is an interesting perspective; the juxtaposition.

Posted by .

~

Personally I don’t think Johnny Jay’s response, "…suggests the only setting they play in is performance or in the eye of the general public." If you take his statements individually you might infer as much. However, if you read his entire response; then no.

Posted by .

I agree AB, I know that’s not what Johnny Jay meant but I thought others may take it that way.

Mmm, you are both correct. It wasn’t what I meant although I agree that what I intended to convey might have been misconstrued.

Maybe I should have added the words "until we get a chance to hear them" to "play more slowly etc…" although musicians will often change their focus as regards their style and approach to playing music even if they can and have already done this. Also, what they do in performance or in the eye of the general public is all that most of us will see unless we are really familiar with the players and/or their musical journeys.

True Johnny Jay. I would like to think that most folk would understand that to get to the technical standard of most of these players that they must have a pretty good grounding in the music. There are others though who seem to assume players in the public eye to be one trick ponies. We’ve seen it from folk on this website for years.

Here’s a beautiful track featuring some of these young musicians

https://youtu.be/b2FTneFpR2w

Assisting Mike on this track is Innes Watson who is a member of one the bands above "The Treacherous Orchestra" among many other projects.
Not Irish, of course, but it certainly shows they aren’t "One Trick Ponies".

I might even start a thread for a bit of fun so that we can all give examples of other aspects of these "Rad Trad" musicians work. 🙂

Yes, these musicians indeed do rehearse well, and play very well, and are generally the most skilled traditional musicians of our age - it doesn’t render them free from being judged with snobbery.

…or defended from snobbery.

From the original list, all written off by one person anyway, I can tell you that everyone in Coig came up playing square dances and kitchen parties etc. in Cape Breton… they can sit and play straight up trad all day and night, with anyone. With that band, they are doing some less trad stuff (and I like it, especially their first CD), but don’t think for a minute they can’t drop back in and play square sets. They can.

You could add Mec Lir to that list; I’ve seen them,fun, and some are in Imar now. Imar and Taiskboth made an impression here n Cape Breton last Celtic Colours. I like some of the other bands on the list, not for full time listening, but some great players.

@AdrianW: can corroborate completely. Any of the skeptics kvetching here might like to pop in to the Governors session of a Wed. night and see how well they can do keeping up with Crissy’s tune encyclopedia (or any of the others).

2020 rolls on in. Any more rad trad bubbling up anyone? 🙂