RIP Tommy Peoples

RIP Tommy Peoples

Breaking: Mr. Peoples has passed away. I know he had had some health problems lately.

Prayers and condolences for his family and those who were close to him, and if any are reading this, please know this American reader will forever be grateful to him for his artistry.

Re: RIP Tommy Peoples

Yes, I’ve just heard this. Shocked and saddened.

I don’t post here too often, but wanted to leave a message somewhere with others who know what this man was.

I’m really saddened by the news of Tommy Peoples passing.

RIP

Sad news indeed. RIP Mr. People’s

The high part of the road, ard an bhothair

Very sad news indeed. My sincerest condolences to his family.

One of my favourite tunes of all time is the Tommy Peoples reel, The Green Fields Of Glentown:

https://thesession.org/tunes/671

A great great loss. Sincere condolences.

I was at the tribute to him at Miltown Malbay in July, saw him after, no words, but we exchanged a smile and a thumbs up. His legacy to us is priceless. Rest In Peace Tommy.

Posted by .

When I first moved to Clare 20 years ago, the very first week I heard someone whistling ‘The Teetotaller’ in front of me in the queue at the post office. Who should it be but the man himself. I knew then I’d flitted to the right place.

A fabulous album in my formative years was him with Paul Brady, Ard an Bothair - stunning, other-worldly playing, a gem.

RIP and thanks Tommy.

David

I have no words to describe my feelings right now. A great loss to Irish music, and it’s a pity I only found his music relatively recently in my exploration. I am not sure I really base my style off his, but it is certainly one of the more soulful interpretations of the music I’ve found, and it has inspired me ever since I found it. And his compositions are fabulous; I will be sure to play "The Green Fields of Glentown" today. RIP a great fiddler and a great man.

The main man, as far as I’m concerned - an utter genius.

Posted by .

What terrible news this is, indeed. :-( I spent the morning playing some of his tunes, sending emails to people that were close to him, and reading some of his book. R.I.P., Tommy, you were an inspiration to us all, and the Irish trad community will mourn your loss for generations to come.

Liam O Flynn now Tommy Peoples - a sad year for the music. I ‘ve had the pleasure of seeing him play solo on 2 occasions - his likes will never be there again……………

Here are just a few comments that I passed on today to some of my own session friends, if you don’t mind, people:

You see on TV and other media: when someone like David Bowie dies, the outpouring of grief by his fans is very real. They almost religiously followed their idol and so their loss is almost palpable.

When a major figure in the Trad Music scene passes, like Tommy Peoples or Liam óg o’ Flynn, we may be more restrained and circumspect in that respect in that we know the tradition will continue and other great players/composers will continue with their contributions.

However, although more restrained, my thinking is that our loss is just as personal. Most players may have played in a session with, or have good friends who have played in session with the likes of Mr TP. So I’m thinking when we lose one of our "superstars", it’s not so much like losing a deity, like Bowie, but more like losing a very clever brother, or cousin. One of our own. Not one of Them, up on a pedestal.

I *nearly* joined in on his session a couple of decades ago, in Kilfenora when he lived there and was a member of aforementioned Ceili Band. I should have done, because the following evening I joined in a session in the same pub with other members of the KCB, and they were most welcoming. So I missed a trick there. Even so it had been a pleasure to sit and watch and listen to The Man Himself, the previous evening.

I’ve been doing various little chores today, but when I sit down and think Tommy Peoples has died, it’s like our musical landscape has changed. And not for the better. But because we "live" within a tradition, we must therefore live in hope. Mr Peoples has bequeathed us with a colossal legacy of tunes and technique. So we should be thankful. And hopeful.

(Sorry to go on!)

I agree with you, Winston, although because I’m just a beginner I don’t have those personal experiences yet. TP wasn’t a deity, but he was someone I greatly admired. It’s personal that way. When we lose someone like Tommy Peoples or Jerry Holland or James Byrne , even if you have no personal experience with them, you have the tunes they gave to the world, their wonderful playing, the recordings… And most of all, perhaps, the stories. And those stories are more personal than stories people might tell about someone like Bowie, I contend, because they happen on a smaller scale. You meet someone who played with TP in a session once, and your impression of the man is changed by the stories your acquaintance tells you. With a Bowie fan, it’s more like "I saw him live once". Far less of a human connection to the person you look up to.

RIP Tommy. We’ll miss you, brother.

Yes, thanks Daniel, I think we both have it there. Beginning to feel bad about using Bowie as an example to contrast the differences in outlook between the 2 musical genres. Bowie was an amazingly creative person. I myself find it a problem that he was against independence for the country of Scotland, but I forgive him that myopia. So, I promise not to mention Bowie’s death again in the present context.

I don’t think you need to go that far. I didn’t take your mentioning of Bowie as any bashing him in any way. You simply used his passing to contrast how people take it. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes, sad news. Condolences to his family and close friends but it’s a big loss for us all.

I only met Tommy a few times and we didn’t really get to know each other but he was nice easy going sort of guy. A bit wild in his younger days as we all were. I’ll never forget the Inverness Folk Festival in 1976 when I heard the Bothy Band for the first time.

Sad news indeed

Not just a master fiddler but a generous, humble and warm hearted man.

Condolences, kind thoughts and prayers to his family.

Go dtuga Dia suaimhneas da anam!

All the best

Brian x

I was very sad to hear this. Tommy Peoples was one of the absolute all-time giants of ITM. There are only 2 or 3 others I would put in the same league. I don’t even play the fiddle, but his style has had a bigger influence on my playing than anybody else: those explosive rolls, the effortless and natural way he had of slight melodic variation on each repeat, his penchant for playing familiar tunes in unusual keys. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of great fiddlers who are technically brilliant, polished and note perfect, but whose style is arid, machine like, mathematical. Tommy’s playing had real soul and depth to it. Also a first rate composer of quite complex tunes that are firmly embedded in the tradition, and will surely continue to be played for as long as ITM is around.

Here he is on RTE 30 odd years ago, playing two of his reels. I love the pace, the emotion, the dignity he puts into the tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHqFlS3gNMs

Rock on, Tommy

I can’t take this in. He was simply the best musician our nation ever produced. He expressed our being. Go raibh se ar dheis De

This is really sad news.

I’m sure his memory and his music will live on.

Although he had been ill a while, this is very sad news. The 1975 "The Bothy Band" ablum (along with the 1973 Plenty album) were the first ITM ablums ever heard (but I didn’t even know of them until the mid 1990’s). Alas, I never got to hear him live. But as Winston Smith said above, Peoples is part of the ITM, and he has musical "children" that will carry on under his influence.

It was the summer of 1992 and I had cycled from Shannon to Donegal and back on a pushbike with a new Dave Williams flute, with which I was struggling. My repertoire was slim, my skills slimmer, but my enthusiasm for the craic was genuine. Music every night either in a hostel, a pub, or at a festival. The evening prior to my flight out of Shannon was spent in Ennis, and I had drifted into a hotel thinking there might be some tunes. A silver-haired gentleman with a fiddle, and a lady with a concertina were off in a corner playing unobtrusively. ‘Twas not the grand session I had hoped for, but in the end, much better because it was the man himself. After sitting nearby for a couple of sets, I was invited to join them. Thus to me, he represents the essence of Irish Traditional Music. I don’t really remember much about him, which speaks to his quiet nature. Those who knew him better will know.

We were really sorry to hear this news. A great fiddler, and by all accounts, a very nice person. May he rest in peace. Wishing strength and solace to his family & friends.

I am deeply saddened to hear of Tommy’s passing, I feel so fortunate to have seen and heard this great and distinctive musician in person. On hearing his playing no one could mistake him for anyone else. My condolences to Siobhán and all of Tommy’s family.

Posted by .

It’s hard to express how much Tommy Peoples’ playing has thrilled me, inspired me, awed me. Sincere condolences to his family and all who knew him.

I was surprised by his wonderful playing when I finally found one of his LPs - he seemed more lillting and playful than John Doherty or the Brass Fiddlers. But then there’s about every kind of fiddler imaginable in Donegal.

His book is great! Touching way to end a lifetime’s work, too.

A great artist and very inspiring.
His work with the Bothy Band created my first interest in Irish music.
God bless him and his family.

RIP Tommy, what can I say, a fecking amazing player, had the pleasure of being at a session in the mid nineties in Lisdoonvarna, Clare at a pub called the Roadside Tavern and Tommy was playing a session there, I remember being totally in awe with the music and I’ve played with Siobahn a few times in Ennis, a lovely woman and amazing player too.