New site feature: Trips

New site feature: Trips

I’ve just added a new feature to The Session that I’ve been meaning to do for ages.

If you’re planning to travel somewhere, you can now add the dates and location as a trip. Here’s an example of an upcoming trip I’ll be taking to Saint Augustine, Florida:

https://thesession.org/trips/1

On the page for a trip, you’ll see any events that will be on while you’re there, any sessions that might be happening, and any members of the site who live nearby. If anyone else is taking a trip to the same area around the same time, you’ll see that too.

You can add a trip from your member profile. Along with the option to add or update your usual location, there’s now a button that says "add a trip":

https://thesession.org/trips/add

(There’s also a subtle link on the home page too.)

I’ve tried to keep the process of adding a trip as quick and simple as possible: say where you’re going (sometimes the town is enough; but add the country or state if you want to be sure), and select the start and end dates. Then you’ll be shown a map (which you can adjust) and once everything looks right, your trip is posted.

Also, if someone else adds a trip that takes them near you, you’ll be notified of that on the home page of the site (but of course you’ll need to have added your location on your member profile for that to work, so please do that if you haven’t already).

It really, really makes me happy when The Session can help people get together for some tunes, so I’m hoping that this new feature will increase the chance of that happening.

If you’ve got any travel planned, go ahead and add some trips (if you’re going to multiple places on a trip, add each destination as a separate trip):

https://thesession.org/trips/add

If you’ve got any feedback on this new feature, please let me know in a comment on this discussion thread.

Thanks!

Posted by .

Re: New site feature: Trips

This is a great idea. The more we all actually physically meet each other and play tunes (& drink & chat & stuff), the better!!!
Down with the internet!!!

Cheers Jeremy, just given it a go. Noted 2members linked both based in scotland :-) but im visiting frankfurt? Also if inwish to add my location , i clicked on add location but it took me to a page with coordinates for Ireland, but my location is always disabled? So im confused. Should i turn it on temporarily to set location up here? And how come it puts me in ireland anyhow!! Nr knock…. i was there yesterday!

Great idea, well done Jeremy.

Regards
David

Posted by .

Will, if you click through to those member accounts where they say they’re in Scotland, you’ll see that they’re actually based around Frankfurt. Presumably they updated their location but not their bio.

"Should i turn it on temporarily to set location up here?"

To add your location to your member profile, then yes, you would need to give the site permission to access your location. Otherwise it can only take a best guess based on your IP address.

Posted by .

Thanks Jeremy! Just added one, looks like it works pretty well.

Just added a trip. Quick and easy. Three potential sessions popped up. Not sure any of them are still running, since the listings are kinda old, but there are contacts listed so I can check. Thanks, Jeremy.

Posted by .

Thanks Jeremy. One day I might manage to get out of South East London, you never know…..

What a good idea Jeremy. I thought at first it was to do with the numerous tunes called "A Trip to …", but this is far more useful and practical. Thank you.

I’m very glad that everyone’s liking this!

If you want to see the trips that people are adding, you can do that here:

https://thesession.org/trips

Posted by .

Let’s hope that there aren’t too many burglars or house breakers "lurking" here.
:-)

Found another session for my trip…Yippee! Very helpful, thank you.

Posted by .

This is quite nice. Thanks for adding this feature Jeremy!

Thank you for adding the amenity, Jeremy. I have just tried it out - nice to see where the local sessions are, and good to see that my husband is making the same trip. :)

Now THAT is really cool, Jeremy!
It so happens I’m travelling in a couple days so I added it.
The feature does just what it’s supposed to- I found a session and a Facebook group I knew nothing about until now.

My only regret is that the Trip feature didn’t exist back in April when I travelled to London and Dublin.

Neither "London, England" nor "London, United Kingdom" nor "London, UK" are specific enough for the location parsing code, apparently. With each of those entries, I get the message "The name of the place you’re going to needs to be more specific (the name of the town and the name of the country)".

Hmmm… while we’re at it, "Brighton" (whether with England, United Kingdom, or UK), "Toronto" (with or without a comma; with or without "Canada"), and "Boston" (with or without a comma, on its own or with "United States" or "USA") generates the same message.

Same here when I tried it with Mallow/Charleville/Cork, Ireland, not specific enough.

Posted by .

I’ve just tried it for Dublin, Enniskillen and my own town, first solo and then adding county names and/or country names, but none of these methods were sufficiently specific.

What a great idea, thanks Jeremy for always thinking of ways to improve user experience.

Great feature, One minor niggle, I’m on a trip - 11th - 18th August - in Scotland. Checked the Session and got a new event near me - in Glasgow - after I leave Scotland. Weird! Checked my location and found it had been updated. Seems reasonable.

Will my location go back to normal after I return? I suspect it will.

What happens if there is an event near me, posted when I’m away for shortly after I get back? Will I be notified? I suspect I’m going to miss it.

Why can’t the event preview adapt to my changing location?