Update on my Ireland Trip

Update on my Ireland Trip

Hello all,
Figured I’d write an update on my trip to ireland and the music I found there.
I landed in Dublin, and was hoping to find a session or two in the town but most of the live music I found was country music or it was Whiskey in a Jar type stuff. Pipers Corner appeared to be closed when I went by, hopefully next time I’ll be there on time for the session.
I didn’t find too many sessions, but the ones I did find were great. I walked in to a pub in Galway and the musicians were in middle of a set. It was about 11:30ish at night and I wanted to pick up a pint and listen a bit before asking if I could play. The music ended and the musicians packed up, so I missed it by a few hours probably. The music was beautiful to listen to and really hammered home why I’ve been learning this music.
The second session we found was in Cork in a pub just before Sine’s. I can’t remember the name, the Corner House maybe. Went in and there were 2 box players, 2 fiddlers, a guitarist and Bodhran player. I went to sit with friends to listen a bit and get a pint but almsot right away was asked by a lady what was in the case, told her it was a mandolin. My friends were all pushing for me to go up and play with them, so I went over and was asked if I played traditional music, said of course. was pretty noisey in the pub so was hard to hear. Sat down and waited cause I didn’t recognize many of tunes they were playing. After a bit was asked if I wanted to start a set. Geese in the bog in to Hag at the churn worked well. It was amazing getting to hear how the music all flowed together. The night went on like this, listening and playing, and drinking. Before I knew it 2 hours had gone by and the pub was getting ready to close their doors so my friends and I packed up and continued with our mini pubcrawl.
Most of my Ireland trip was traveling and hitchhiking around. Entire days were filled up with traveling. I for sure didn’t see all of the country and for sure will be back. I picked up a three piece Dixon flute while I was there and am going to be trying to learn it for when I return. Fact I can take it anywhere with me regardless of climate is nice. I’ll probably be writing another psot asking about flute stuff.
Hope all you beautiful folks are going well 🙂

Re: Update on my Ireland Trip

Glad you finally made your journey, as you had been talking about it for a while on the forums!

Sounds like you got a good taste of Ireland! There’s something about being there that helps bring the music into perspective, at least for me. The good news is that as you continue to progress as a player, you can bring a bit of Ireland with you wherever you go 🙂

Glad you got here and enjoyed being here.I’m not "here" in a manner of speaking! I’m presently in England. Hope we can meet up next time you come.

Sounds like you’re having a great experience, BB.

Good on you Andrew. I’m proud of you mate.

Posted by .