Thesis about the Bodhrán

Thesis about the Bodhrán

Hey everyone,

I´ve written my thesis about the bodhrán. You can access it via the link below. Unfortunately it is in german. I´ll post it anyway, because there are some german speakers in here. Also, there´s a score attached to the thesis that you could use as an inspiration in case you ever want to write any music for the bodhrán. The annotations to the score and the key description are in english. The 2nd link leads to the recording of the score. My assessors and I agree that the written part has turned out better than the audible part. Also, though played on irish drums, it is not ITM, so don´t expect any tunes.

So here´s the pdf: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2dafpricmhwcs38/Paul%20Wendel%20-%20Komposition%20fur%20Bodhran.pdf?dl=0
And here the audio: https://theirishdrum.bandcamp.com/releases

Cheers
Paul

Re: Thesis about the Bodhrán

I enjoyed the audio file - not Irish, as you say but it has some interesting ensemble playing. It has a very long silent lead in - I was beginning to think there was nothing on it.

I don’t speak German but I was amused by your bodhrán jokes at the head of each chapter. My favourite is:

MAN GOES INTO A BUTCHER’S SHOP AND SEES BRAINS ON SALE:
PIPERS’ BRAINS $5/LB, FIDDLERS’ BRAINS $10/LB, BODHRAN PLAYERS’ BRAINS $50/LB.
HE SAYS: "HOW COME THE BODHRAN PLAYERS’ BRAINS ARE SO EXPENSIVE?"
THE BUTCHER SAYS: "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY WE’VE GOT TO KILL TO GET A POUND?"

But chapter 6 has a quotation from Goethe instead:

DA STEH ICH NUN, ICH ARMER TOR, UND BIN SO KLUG ALS WIE ZUVOR!
for which I eventually found a translation (Google translate was useless):

And so I sit, poor silly man
No wiser now than when I began.

Why that instead of a bodhrán joke? Or is that how you think bodhrán players feel

No wonder google doesn´t know how to translate Goethe. It´s from Faust, where the protagonist tells us that he has studied all the academic fields of his time but still feels like a fool who knows nothing. At that point in the thesis I felt similar: I had spent much time (about two thirds of the time I had for the whole thing) researching and writing about composition and the bodhrán, yet I still had the whole task of actually composing and recording 30min of music before me and had no clue where to start.

> It has a very long silent lead in

There’s actually sound from the start - but it needs a lot of volume…

Posted by .

Hi Paul,
very cool, that you made your thesis publicly available!
I am looking forward to reading your thesis - and playing some tunes with you at the Backstube, this Sunday ;)
all the best
David