Bernard Overton Whistles

Bernard Overton Whistles

Hi, does anyone have any of Bernard Overton’s old whistles for sale? I’m trying to complete my set.

Re: Bernard Overton Whistles

Welcome to "thesession.org". Which whistles are you looking for ?

Posted by .

That would be quite a project, to assemble a collection of every Overton size that Bernard made.

Personally I’ve only owned a couple different Low D’s and a Low E, as best I recall.

One of the Low D’s had bizarre finger-spacing, presumably bespoke.

Good luck with your mission SionPiob. Be patient - they come up from time to time on eBay, Adverts.ie and DoneDeal. I’d recommend inspecting any purchase in person esp. if you are offering close to full market value as they vary in condition and tuning/sound.

I’m lucky enough to have acquired Overton Low-D and regular C back around ‘84/5. Both are exceptional players - the Low-D especially easy blowing and that rich swirling sound you’d expect from the original of the species.

I think if I was kicking off nowadays I’d consider just standardising on a set of Burke whistles - and probably aluminium for weight advantage over brass especially in the lower range. I’ve ended up with a mixed bag in the middle range with Burke aluminium Low-F, Chieftain/KWL Low-G and McManus wooden Low-A. All three are very (very) different in terms of how they play and sound.

"I think if I was kicking off nowadays I’d consider just standardising on a set of Burke whistles - and probably aluminium for weight advantage over brass especially in the lower range."

As I’ve mentioned I do studio work here in Southern California and sometimes professional studio flute/sax/clarinet guys ("reed men" as they’re called) show up with a roll full of gleaming Burkes in every key.

I’ve consistently found that these non-Irish-trad players (classical/jazz/pop players) love Burkes.

"I’ve ended up with a mixed bag in the middle range…"

Me too. I have Generations from mezzo A on up (my Generation A has a body I made) and from mezzo G down to low Eb I have Burkes.

My Low D and Low C are Goldies, they’re fantastic.

Then I have a Bass A by Alba which is a wonderful player.

Personally I prefer the way Goldies play to Overtons. But as we know Overtons vary all over the map, I’m sure there are great ones out there.

If I had the money I’d get Goldies in every key from Bass G on up to mezzo G, a full octave of the things.

I have a low G Overton whistle that I’ve just listed on Ebay, this post came up when I was googling to check information on Bernard Overton.
If you’re interested, I’m happy to chat on post/ebay. it’s at
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323640267690

Belinda

I have a Bernard Overton Soprano D in excellent condition, if you’re still interested.

Hi.
I was looking for an Overtone in High D.
If you still have it, I might like to buy it.
Pls let me know if its still for sale and if you would ship to Norway. I gladly pay the shipping with tracking.
Best regards
Thomas Aasen