ABC output: stretched bars

ABC output: stretched bars

Apologies if this has already been covered.. I’ve found that, when using ABC, if there’s a couple of bars left at the end of a tune, on a new line, they stretch out to fill a full line. Is there a way to tweak the output so the bars look normal when printed out?

Re: ABC output: stretched bars

An exclamation point will force a line break, so maybe this can stop the sheet music from stretching. It’s worth a try.

Example:
afge fdec|dBAG FDD2:|!

What you are looking for is the %%stretchstaff and %%stretchlast directives. Putting the following in your ABC should achieve the result you want. Works for me…

%%stretchstaff yes
%%stretchlast no

The first command means generally stretch to fill width. But on the last line - don’t stretch.

Handy EasyABC reference card : http://www.stephenmerrony.co.uk/uploads/ABCquickRefv0_6.pdf

Thanks a lot to both of you for your advice. The ! symbol worked by bringing the last two (stretched) bars back to the line above, which worked in the tune I’m notating.

I also tried the %%stretchlast no but it didn’t work for me. Where should that command be placed?

Thanks again.

What ABC software are you using for edit/print? EasyABC on PC works for me. I think the output from below is sent to abc2ps for formatting. The %% directive is above the tune (usually put that stuff in the header) and applies until cancelled.

%%stretchlast no

X: 1
T: The Rolling Waves
R: jig
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: Dmaj
|:F2 E EDE|F2 D DED|F2 E EFA|d2 e fdA|
|F2 E EDE|F2 D DED|AFE EFA|B3 d3:|
|:ABd e2 f|d2 cB2 A|ABd e2 f|d2 A B3|
|ABd ede|fdB BAF|

Just seen this … thanks for clearing that up for me!