What other music do you especially like - and why?

What other music do you especially like - and why?

I am assuming that most of you don’t like *only* ITM and probably (like me) have a wide variety of musical tastes.

The music that I ‘especially’ like, apart from Irish, Scottish & English traditional music, is early music & baroque - I think the baroque patterns have something in common with Scottish & Irish ITM, and there’s a link up with English folk tunes and songs via Playford.

I’m writing this on the day after we went to see Rachel Podger play with our local ensemble Norwich Baroque. It was electric. They finished with a folia arranged by Geminiani - the spontaneity (though rehearsed, Rachel is a dancing spirit when she plays and imparted that to Jim O’Toole and the rest of NB) and also the excitement of it all reminded me a a really good Session. :)

Early music I like because the modal structure sounds eery & gives me gooseflesh. I get that experience from Irish traditional music too, particularly slow airs and tunes that modulate between C# and natural.

How about you?

I’m sure there have been threads like this before, but it’s always nice to touch base with the Mustard Board Community in the Now (she explained, somewhat pretentiously).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Re: What other music do you especially like - and why?

I try to let the music come to me without prejudice (it’s not easy to do). Some music takes longer I.e Uillean pipes, accordion, the older recordings. I had patience because I knew there was something there that my Americanized ear was missing. I don’t like music that puts me on edge (I.e. rap and heavy metal). I imagine there is something important being expressed but I have enough stress in my life than to listen to music with that much edge. I just stay away from it. I generally hate music in which the formula feels like the main driving force. Modern country music feels that way (ie “America yea! We are so awesome, I’m just a simple working country boy and I just need my woman, dog, pickup truck and my beer - yuck). Top 40 used to be that way but is a little less so now. I keep an ear out for the gems. They are there and I don’t want to miss them. I imagine I miss a lot because there is too much crap to sift through.
I love music that has the feel of improvisation - like it’s flowing out of a master musician’s creative consciousness. Jazz does not always or even usually feel that way to me - there’s usually too much improv method. Bach does sound that way when performed correctly and musicians like Matt Molloy and Tommy Peoples do.
I love a singer that can express their music in a spiritual way. Singing music in harmony with their spirit and expressed with beautiful lyrics and melody that convey real emotion that feels connected. James Taylor is one of my favorites. Karine Polwart has that quality - I found her recently on YouTube singing a beautiful version of “Lark In the Clear Air”.

Baroque - especially Bach
Erik Satie piano music
Django Reinhardt and ‘gipsy jazz’
Pink Floyd and other guitar playing of David Gilmour

On the negative side I don’t like Opera (no idea why - just doesn’t work for me)

Also
Bowie - early, Hendrix, Led Zep (sometimes) , some Clapton, early Stones, Beatles sometimes…..

1) Blues on the violin - want to learn how to play it.

2) Cajun/Zydeco ( long time dancer to it, and I have a band playing it). Lots of times I’m just studying it.

3) I come and go with classical/baroque. Currently taking Suzuki violin lessons, so listening to it more. I’m learning I like chamber orchestra or smaller ensembles better, as I can hear better what individuals are doing.

4) Classic rock (I’m 65). Not sure how much I like the music, and how much I like the memories. Every year or more I’ll listen to this on YouTube to recreate some time in my teens marveling at this:

Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict (early Pink Floyd)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbbPSXUAmY

I was a hip hop DJ for many years.

I love dancehall music, I used to love funk a lot, the most recent non-Trad tune to blow my mind is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u7kaOntQbsw

I love the precision of inorganic music and the wholesomeness of analogue.

I really love the interplay between both.

Posted by .

There’s also a CD I love, Zaire Choc, but it is out of print.

I like classical music, including baroque and early music. Some of my favorites are Bach, Dowland, Beethoven, Vaughn Williams, Steve Reich. I like early baroque music, before Bach comes along. Especially baroque guitar and the solo violin music of Johann Paul von Westoff.

I love metal, mainly thrash metal and black metal.

I like late swing and early bebop. Miles, Bird, Charlie Christian etc.

Classic rock, especially Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Beatles, Eagles, Creedence. I’m also enamored of these two obscure bands from circa 1970, Coven and Black Widow.

Early to 90s hip hop, especially Wu Tang Clan and Biggie.

Certain folk (in the popular sense), especially Leonard Cohen, James Taylor, and Stan Rogers. Not a Bob Dylan fan.

Sea chanteys and that sort of thing. No particular artists. There’s a place not far from me that has chanteys/pub songs every Monday night, so that’s what I know.

80s pop, especially Duran Duran, Prince, MJ…

"Cheesy" love songs, which I like unironically. Air Supply, Stephen Bishop, Barry Manilow.

I have pretty broad-ranging tastes in music, classical, skiffle, folk, pop (60s and 70s reflecting my age!), Scandi and other European, musical theatre, operetta, some grand opera (Mozart, Verdi, but spare me Wagner!)
Perhaps easier to say what I don’t like: modern jazz, avant-garde "classical", pop from 80s onwards.
Why? Most of the music I like has grown on me by active involvement with it, going right back to school days, when most of what we sang or played at school was from the "classical" stable, but at the same time the 60s folk revival was starting. Then as a student in London, I discovered a lot more classical and folk music for myself. Middle years, getting involved in local amdram companies doing musicals and Gilbert & Sullivan. Moving to Scotland 30 years ago, got very much into Scottish and other trad music and song, helping to organise events, etc.
Playing various instruments and attending classes, playing in bands also widened the horizons.

Most classical music but especially Bach! oh and I’d love to play tangos and eastern European folk music.

I’m currently enjoying Québecois tunes. I love their simple, unbridled joyousness, their infectious rhythm and sometimes mindbending crookedness.

Like you, fiddle aunt, I have special fondness for early gaelic, slow air, old/ancient, modal music. I thus went from session tunes to devoting more time to wire harp repertoire for my s/itm.

But that only scratches that itch - at home I study/play a wide variety of musical traditions.
For performing it’s been accordions - after several decades of solo guitar (Bach and flamenco) - which allows me a wide repertoire from trad to Satie to Latin forms. I find the accordion a superb instrument for variety, and accessible for audiences.

For listening - jazz and avant art music.

Posted by .

I think it was Ira Gershwin who said. "There are only two kinds of music: good and bad."
Most of the music I listen to, had its heyday before the Second World War. Folk music of many societies, and American music from about 1840 to 1960. Some more contemporary music is OK but I have to weed it out. As well as fiddle music, I listen to and play Hawaiian steel guitar. Lately I have discovered the Tikiyaki Orchestra.
The OP asks "and why." I have no idea. It just grabs me.

There are three music kinds; each one good, because music is good.

Dance music. Melody. Everything else.

Genres are only used for crowd control.

I especially like the musics my friend Skip Gerson and Les Blank recorded around east Texas, Louisiana & elsewhere in the late sixties, early 70s. Because it was *always for pleasure*. And it’s about everything, literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Plmw36D-E

Posted by .

Re: What other music…

Oh! And Paddy Keenan. If his music qualifies as other.
Other than what, Mollie?
;) Great question!

Posted by .

Beatles - early Stones - Canned Heat - Oasis - The Specials - UB40 - Bob Marley - Tracy Chapman - Johann Sebastian Bach - Vivaldi - Ralph Vaughan Williams - Robert Johnson - Rev Gary Davis - Memphis Minnie - Sonny Terry - Gus Cannons Jug Stompers - Muddy Waters - Blind Willy McTell - Bill Monroe - Steve Earle - Doc Watson - Gillian Welch - Carolina Chocolate Drops - Rhiannon Giddens - Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli - Count Basie Orchestra - early Louis Armstrong - Billie Holliday - Klezmatics…………think i’ll stop now. As for why, who can say - music either grabs your imagination or it doesn’t.
For me, Frank Sinatra, most opera and 90% of current pop music doesn’t.

ps thanks Kenny for introducing the brilliance of Flairk - never come across them before.

I’m an aging punk rocker so grew up listening to The Clash, The Jam, Stiff Little Fingers, The Ruts, The Undertones, X-Ray Spex. Still listen to punk, favourite band at the moment is Downtown Boys.

Always loved ska, big fan of The Specials and the Selector.

Mad into Northern Soul, which was the only music played at my wedding.

Love jazz - bebop, bop and hard bop - have been obsessed with jazz drumming for a number of years.

Too much other stuff to list. Have no time at all for: metal or country music.

Genres are irrelevant.
Only significant for non-playing punters and record collectors.
There are only two types of music: good and bad utterly regardless of type.

Wrong - there are two kinds of music : music you like, and music you don’t like, unless you’re the one who’s going to tell all of us what’s "good" and what’s "bad".
I suppose there is a third category - the biggest of them all : " music I haven’t heard yet".

Posted by .

Christy - glad you liked "Flairck" - they have a pretty amazing version of "The Butterfly". It starts a bit too slow for me, I think with sitar ! - but once it gets going…………………………

https://youtu.be/4a3XDGPm2tE

Posted by .

The music that gets my attention the most is the music that speaks what can’t be spoken. Sometimes I’ll hear a song, and without first understanding the words, feel a deep agony. Sometimes I’ll hear a progression of harmonies that sound like the morning, or a lilt of melodies that sound like the night. It could be the jubilance of a slide, the aggression of a reel, or the romance of a waltz. It could be the sorrow of a lament, the longing in a love song, or the nostalgia of a ballad. It could be dark, fiery, silly, sweet, sad, heavy, hard, fast, faster, groovy, lilting, banging, bumping, bouncy, ecstatic, and even noisy! But it has to make me feel something. It has to make me fall in love, or break my heart. It has to give me peace, or rile me up. It has to make me feel.

All of my favorite music is associated with my favorite themes. Even though I have favorite songs across all genres, those songs have a recurring theme. Even those wordless solo piano pieces fit within that very theme, and at times, they even epitomize the theme. That theme is Love and Romance. But I also have a strong taste for themes of Ease, Peace and Aesthetic. There is plenty of crossover between the five of them.

On that note, one of my Official Top 3 favorite genres of music is R&B. Here is my favorite R&B song by a male vocalist, my favorite vocal performance by a female vocalist, and my favorite R&B song by a duet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6qqS9mbdY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htVUHrDJqeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01yPbUXnJZk

I enjoy old time American folk/blues, salsa makes me want to dance (and I did for a while) various ‘world’ music from south America and Africa, eastern European gypsy/roma music, zydeco, flamenco, anything with gaelic influences, new age, techno.
This stuff what’s it called?-
https://youtu.be/pT_buj8i5To

I like all types of music, my only criteria are that it has to be performed well and it has to be original. I’m not interested in watching people pretend to be Elvis or ABBA or even Tommy Peoples. Take a song or tune and make it your own and then I’m interested.

Although presently I am playing only 6/8’s and 2/4’s (about an hour per day), while I’m working on-site, I use a rather expensive blue-tooth portable speaker to listen to Chet Atkins (700 plus tunes) and a chap from the UK by name of David Hartley, on pedal steel guitar.
Why? Because I suffer from anxiety and I find this music unintrusive and relaxing.

Thanks very much for all the replies, links and videos. Very nice! :)

>Michelle Mc - when I was a young lad in Britain in the ’50s we called it skiffle!

I think music covers every emotion known to humans. I love it all.

thanks again Kenny, I hadn’t heard that RT song before - first class. His songs have been covered by bands like Danu and 4 Men and a Dog, so could be said to have a connection with ITM.

Basically I like all kinds of music except classical singing (e.g. opera), Indonesian gamelan music and Japanese noh music.

Apart from Irish and related (e.g. Scottish, Cape Breton, English) I especially like Swedish trad music, Norwegian trad, Bulgarian trad, Romanian trad, klezmer, American oldtimey, quebecois music, Breton trad, Galician trad, bourrées de Berry, baroque music (especially Vivaldi), django-style jazz. And heavy metal!

>Michelle Mc - its also related to jug band music and certain types of old time string band music -the Carolina Chocolate Drops and Old Crow Medicine’s veer in that direction sometimes.

Recently I’ve taken a liking to hardcore/metal hip hop and alternative hip hop, witnessing the brilliant Death Grips at this years Electric Picnic. I like all sorts of electronica, ambient techno like Jon Hopkins Immunity and I think every self respecting bodhran player should have some Aphex Twin in their collection, he is a man that knows his beats and rhythm. I also like a bit of dub reggae, ska and world music, some hard rock and progressive rock like Pink Floyd, Brian Eno. Actually have been playing My Life in a Bush of Ghosts by David Byrne and Brian Eno a lot recently. I also have a lot of love for the pure drop trad and still consider the Bothy Band Afterhours one of the most influential albums in my life. Like a bit of punk too, I like a lot of music actually, its healthy to have a few different listening spheres. :)

I’m just listening to The Ex, an avantgarde punk band from the Netherlands.

Apart from traditional folk i like classic rock from the seventies, blues, punk, hardcore, noiserock, jazz, a bit of reggae, ska … and i really don’t like disco and popmusic.

Like scotts niall I like electronic stuff. As long as it has no or few words and is edgy and possibly distorted. +1 aphex twin. Venetian snares. Repetitive is fine. ITM is. Also "math rock." Like early Don Caballero or similar.

ff

I love and listen to all other forms of music, but outside of folk/trad, the genre I listen to most and love as much as trad, is metal. I’m talking black and death metal, the very abrasive stuff with dark imagery and lyrical content. I love it. Metal was the first genre of music I discovered and I have been a diehard metalhead for 16 years now. I only play trad though, that said I have been dying to learn the electric guitar too.

A few people have commented on the peculiarity of seeing someone play a few lovely deedley didley tunes on a fiddle whilst wearing a Darkthrone or Morbid Angel t-shirt.

It sounds rather an attractive combination! :)

Similar story as pianoter.

Common attire nowadays is a Massacre long sleeve (if a handful of times per year is common enough…). My Iron Maiden t-shirt (The Trooper) has gotten a few comments over the years. I can’t remember if I’ve played in sessions wearing my Napalm Death t-shirt.

I listen to all sorts of genres from all sorts of eras. I am drawn to well crafted melodies and interesting lyrics. I really respect the art of clever songwriting and the texture of the arrangement. I’m pulled in by raw human emotion and the eternal human experience. It could be Miles, Mozart, Marley or Motorhead - it doesn’t matter - if the hook is cool and the story pulls me in, I’ll gladly go along for the ride. It doesn’t matter if its raw or masterfully produced, but I have to be able to connect to the humanity behind it, otherwise I have no interest in it.

Nearly four years ago:
Trad Musicians, Are You Always Strictly Traditional.? What Musical Styles Do you listen To, When you Want To Take A Break From Trad.? - https://thesession.org/discussions/34864

Thanks for the link - I’ll post it the other way too. :)

Lots of Brit-folk rock stuff: Richard Thompson, Fairport Convention, Sandy Denny, Nick Drake, Bert Jansch, Davy Graham, Traffic, plus Beatles and classic rock. Now I love The Rails (Kami Thompson and James Walbourne.)

So many styles. Today I worked on guitar improvisation to Al Jarreau and Nora Jones. Yesterday, worked on Keith Urban and Cam covers with a songstress friend. Big fan of both Mary and Cara Dillon and worked on covers of songs they’ve done. Resolved to resurrect an acoustic cover of the System of a Down song "Toxicity." I’ve recently fallen in love (all over) with Nat King Cole’s rendition of "Stardust," but I like Willie Nelson’s, too.

https://youtu.be/DjU6ZjrQulc

And worked between two covers of the song "This Guy’s (Girl’s) In Love" (Steve Tyrell and Dionne Warwick).

Sometimes I wonder why I spend the lonely night dreaming of a song…

I could say it in a hard way:

I do not love Irish music. Not the Polish, Albanian, Turkish, music. Not the Chinese, Finnish, English, Hungarian, Indian, Latvian or any other music, not either German music.

What I love, is to feel and sense, that my heart can easily connect with the heart of my sisters and brothers – through our voices, our sounds and our ears. Across all differences in skin color, language, culture and world view.

That’s what I love about the music of the whole world! And that’s why I have collected all the precious folk musics of the world an my youtube channel called "World Trad & Ethno Folk Channel" (Look here: http://t1p.de/ck7k).

The Irish music has grown close to my heart because it is - IMHO and after all the world folk music studies - the most cheerful, exhilarating and mood-lifting music in the world.

I also find ITM highly evocative music; yet, more for its slower, quieter, plaintive quality.

Posted by .