BBC Alba : "Port" - Series 3 + "The Musical Path"

BBC Alba : "Port" - Series 3 + "The Musical Path"

If you can get BBC Alba, there are a couple of very good programmes being broadcast at the moment and you can catch up with them through BBC iPlayer.
Julie Fowlis and Muireann NicAmhlaoibh are back with a 3rd series of "Port". They are on the road throughout Europe in this series.
First progamme they went to Brittany, meeting among others Sylvain Barou, "Pennou Skoulm", Jean-Michel Veillon.
Second programme visited the Asturias region of Northen Spain, including the great "Tejedor" brothers with guest musician North of Ireland uilleann piper Barry Kerr.
Well worth a look.

I also accidentally stumbled across a programme last week, "The Musical Path" :
"The first in a brand new, landmark, three-part traditional music series which will chart the shifting sands between tradition and innovation in Irish and Scottish music over the past half century, while showcasing an astonishing array of new, cutting-edge acts". I enjoyed the first programme, and look forward to the rest.

Posted by .

Re: BBC Alba : "Port" - Series 3 + "The Musical Path"

Since I’m not in the UK at this time, I cannot access the series. But I copied "BBC Alba : “Port” - Series 3 + “The Musical Path”" to Youtube and came up with some of the sessions. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads-up. A bit cheeky of Alba though - how are us non-gaelic speakers supposed to know there is music to be had if they don’t include ceòl in the title?

Thanks Kenny, Watched one of the progs last night, thanks to our Radio Times! Great music!

Kenny, thanks for the tip-off, watched The Musical Path on Iplayer and currently the ‘Port’ episode in
Bretagne - lovely music. Entertaining listening to the dialogue in Gaelic, French, Breton and occasionally English!

I have Port on "Series Record" on our Virginmedia Tivo box: lots of brilliant stuff! (And only just found out how to turn off VM’s "Suggestions" which keeps recording stuff I’d not be seen dead around!)