Name of tune- getting frustrated as I can’t hear a part properly.

Name of tune- getting frustrated as I can’t hear a part properly.

I try to learn without know the name

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0ZftbxlC04k

Couldn’t figure out the lower part at the end of the 1st part since it just sounds like a mush of notes due to sound (lack of) quality.

I feel ashamed of myself for not getting it. Feels like admitting defeat to have to ask for the tune name but I wanna get on an learn it. I will still learn by ear but want something clearer to work from.

Re: Name of tune- getting frustrated as I can’t hear a part properly.

Well! I listened and that recording was, er, incomprehensible!
Why is it so important?
And anyway, if they play it at some session next time, you’ll go, “Oh! That’s that tune” and play it on auto-pilot and someone might even know the name!!!!
Good luck!

If it is Lord McDonald’s, it’s a very obscure version I’ve never heard. I’ll transcribe it for you tomorrow.

No, definitely not Lord McDondald’s - Lord KFC, maybe… It sounds Appalachian-ish, anyway.

Here’s what I hear (although I might have got the parts reversed, as we don’t get to hear where the tune begins and ends):

X:1
T: ?
L:1/8
M:C|
K:G
DGdG cGBG | DGcG BGAG | DGAG BGAG | DEGD EDB,C
DGdG cGBG | DGcG BGAG | DGAG BGAG |1 EDEF G4 :||2 E2 F2 GABc |
d3B AGAB | c2B2 AGE2 | e3d BAG2 | ABdA BAGB |
d3B AGAB | c2B2 AGE2 | e3d BAG2 | ABAF GABc :|| ABAF G4 ||

Very kind of you creadur thanks.

As to why I heard it in a session recently and before I try and partake I wanted to know a few of the tunes first rather than sitting around like a lemon.

Creadur how are you able to hear that low part which I thought was mush? you must have much more tuned spider sense than me. But it wasn’t a case of me not knowing the notes cos I can get them when I can hear them but rather they were so indistinct I couldn’t make them out.

"Creadur how are you able to hear that low part which I thought was mush?"

Many years of learning tunes by ear, I suppose. There is just one point in the recording (0:43) where those few notes can be clearly heard; shortly after that, it sounds like another fiddler joins in but has not quite got the tune yet, so it gets more difficult. I might have done a bit of ‘joining the dots’ in places. That’s all part of the game, though - when you hear the tune next time, you realise that one bit isn’t quite as you’d heard it the first time and you make the necessary modification*.

In the meantime, there is no shame in referring to a transcription to fill in the gaps. The more tools you have at your disposal for learning tunes, the better.

*The last bar (1st and 2nd time) of the A-part appears sometimes to be played |E2 F2 G…| and sometimes | EDEF G…|, without any apparent system as to when which variant is played. I prefer the 2nd version and meant to change it to that on both the 1st and 2nd time bars, but forgot to change the 2nd time bar - too late to edit it now.

Thanks for the tune, BTW - I rather like it.

X:1
T:Flying Home to Shelley
M:C|
L:1/8
C:Paul Gitlitz 1988
R:Reel
B:Gibltz Fancy
D:David DiGiuseppe’s on "Welcome to Heaven", The Elftones on "The Moon and the S
D:un" , String Beings on "Being Reel" , Rodney Miller on "Flying On Home" , Lift
D:Ticket on "New Balance", Heathen Creek on "24 Hrs", Skeeziks on "Portrait o
D:f Eldvig" , Laura Cortese on her soon to be released album, Paul Gitlitz on "T
D:o Have And To Hold"
K:G
"G6"DGdG cGBG|"Am7"DGcG BGAG|"Bm7"DGAG BGAG|"C6"DEGD EDB,C|!
"G6"DGdG cGBG|"Am7"DGcG BGAG|"Bm7"DGAG "Am"BGAG|1"D9"DEFD "G"G2z2:|
2"D9"DEFD "G"GABc|!
|:"G6"d3B AGAB|"Am7"c3B AGE2|"C6"e3d "Bm7"BAG2|"Am7"ABdA "D7"BAGB|!
"Em7"d2dB AGAB|"Am7"cGBG AGE2|"C6"e3d "Am7"BAG2|1"D7"ABAF "G6"GABc:|
2"D7"ABAF "G6"G4|]

Wow, that’s a nice tune! (The accompaniment reminded me of Reeltime, or even early Boys of The Lough, or rather Peerie Willie Johnson.)

thanks yall

>> Beautifully played here (and great, if unconventional, guitar playing):
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzIsO076SVQ

Agreed, beautiful and relaxed fiddle playing.

As to the guitar, close your eyes. He’s a better guitarist than many and produces the exact right sound and chord sequences.

I can imagine his style benefits him in a big session and helps prevent him drowning out other instruments.

Fair play to him (and her).

"As to the guitar, close your eyes. He’s a better guitarist than many…"

Absolutely! When I said "great", I meant "great"- some of the best playing I’ve heard in that style. Everything about it is spot on, rhythmically and harmonically. It’s just all the more surprising when you see how he does it.

I’ve watched a lot of Patti Kustorok’s vids and I never can work out how Jeremy is using his fretting hand - is he playing standard chord shapes in reverse [ie over rather than under the fretboard] ? Whatever he’s doing the result is brilliant!