Suggestions for Tune Submissions

Suggestions for Tune Submissions

Jeremy has a fantastic site here and does a terrific job of keeping things running smoothly, especially with the new server!

I have a couple of suggestions regarding the tune database although I recognize this is Jeremy’s place and any changes would require effort from him.

The form for entering tunes is quite restrictive in terms of time signature and comments. For example, I have entered a march and schottische tunes here that need 4/4 and 2/4 time signatures. Rather than entering the time signature, this is done by choosing the style of tune, reel, polka etc. I fully understand Jeremy’s desire to keep things consistent and simple but I’m wondering if it would be misused too much if there was a set of buttons to choose the time signature directly. Alternatively, could we have an expanded selection of tune types to choose from (ie 2/4 march, 4/4 march, 2/4 bourree 3/4 bourree etc. It would also be nice to include, composer, transcription and other fields into the abc files.

A related question would be, what do people (Jeremy especially) think about the addition of non-traditional Irish style such as Celtic French style.

In a related thread (https://thesession.org/discussions/4213), the sometimes inconsistency between the abc text - which is editable, and the derived gif and midi files, was pointed out. While this is not the end of the world it is occasionally annoying. Two possibilities come from this

The first suggestion is to make sure that the abc file is correct from the time of first submission. This could be made easier by having a preview option button ala the tune-o-tron on concertina.net (http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html) Maybe even a direct link to that site if it is too difficult to implement here. If this is the desired approach then maybe the editing of abc files once submitted should be disallowed.

The second option would be the creation of gif and midi files on the fly. That way, only the abc files would be stored on the server, freeing up disk space. Freely available software (abc2ps, GhostScript, and abc2midi.) could then be linked in to do the generation of gif and midi files as required. This way, any editing of the abc files would be reflected immediately in the sheetmusic and midi files. I believe there may be many advantages of this approach, but then I’m not the one who has to do it!

This is intended as a point for discussion, so what do you guys think?

Re: Suggestions for Tune Submissions

Generating gif/midi files on the fly would probably greatly increase the computing resources necessary to run the site, given that (from past info received) most people are here for the tunes rather than the discussions. Static files are much easier on the server than dynamically generated files, and the tunes here are largely static.

The main thing to bear in mind is the Jeremy has no time to change the site (I imagine just checking all the newly submitted tunes takes up loads of time on its own, a heroic job), so nothing is going to change, unless it’s trivial and obviously right.

Posted by .

With schottisches I think 2/4 was the old way of transcribing them… wasn’t it? A bit like reels and hornpipes were sometimes written out in semiquavers. If anywhere they belong in the barndance section to be transcribed in 4/4.

As for the march thing, Jeremy once made a category for marches, but then got rid of it because it was rightly pointed out that marches come in compound time sigs as well (6/8 pipe marches).

For purposes of this site, it’s good enough that there’s a comment section. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again: *people aren’t using that to its full potential!*

I think that problems only arise because all abc files here are now fully downloadable, so search engines from elsewhere are going to pick up the session.org files and plaster them elsewhere without qualification, i.e. including "inappropriate" genre and no composer headers. That’s an issue that keeps being brought up here, particularly in the tunes section, but it probably can’t be helped.

yeah, i have to admit i periodically download all the new tunes from this site just so i can add them to my local tune reference. perhaps there could be an option to get the ABC with all the comments added as H: (history) lines… 🙂

Posted by .

I hadn’t thought about the scavenging sites, like the abc tunefinder, digging the abc files from here. Since the abc resource from here ends up in the abc catalogues on the net that is probably a good reason to at least allow the standard abc fields, even if they are then ignored for this site. rog suggestion of putting the comments from here into H: history tags would mean that the information on composer, transcription and the correct tune type information would end up in a field that the standard abc software would not look in.

Can I suggest that the restriction on putting fields such as C:composer be lifted from the tune submission so that the codes can at least go in. This can be supplemented by having other information put into the comments here so that the tunes are consistent with the way Jeremy has set up the site?

This approach would require the extra work from the people submitting tunes, rather than Jeremy. There is no responsibility for Jeremy to check every field of every abc file submitted, so long as they conform to the aspects he wants for this site.

Hey, Robin. We’ve talked about this before and the general concensus is that lifting restrictions in tune submissions is likely to do more harm than good, since a lot of people here are new to ABC and are likely to make mistakes.

As far as Quebecois tunes, there’s a whole site just like this one full of them, but I forget what it is. When I remember I’ll post a link. This site is intended for Irish session tunes or tunes common at Irish sessions. This community is pretty global and Quebecois tunes are not common outside Quebec. Plus don’t get be started about the nightmares we’d have with the time signatures. Don’t get me wrong, I love the tunes, but this is not the place for them.

I used to think that Jeremy’s restriction on the composer was unncessarily, well, restrictive, until I got more familiar with the music and realized how many mistaken composer attributions there are out there…makes for some interesting discussions.

It has just dawned on me that I’m doing the one thing that I should have learned better of - ie blundering into a session and telling the host how it should run ! lol

I’ll be standing in the corner with a bodhran on my head for the next little while.

Wow - just found out there’s an emoticon filter here. I tried to make a cute little sideways smiley with a dunces had on but it doesn’t show up! Oh well - try < followed by | then a : and a - and a ( and you’ll see what I mean.

LOL — not to worry, Robin, I don’t think Jeremy minds people making suggestions, even though the same ones keep coming up. Just shows that great minds… ;)

The reason things with greater than and less than signs don’t show up is it reads as code to the server. 🙂