Shouty session venues.

Shouty session venues.

OBSERVATION: There is a fashion for pubs and bars to get rid of the, admittedly, dated look of carpets, fitted banquets and all the random decorative junk (e.g. sewing machines, boats on the ceiling, damaged taxidermy and so forth…).
Anyway this leads to a harder acoustic profile and makes it more difficult to play the music..

Re: Shouty session venues.

Yes. Buxom serving wenches are good for the acoustics too.

More and more places these days seem to be fitting acoustic ceiling tiles to cut down the echo of the echo of the echo … however, it doesn’t do anything to prevent luthiers tongues hanging out 🙂

With each refurb, the furniture gets BIGGER, CHUNKIER, so less room and fewer seats for musicians. And worse still is when all the new chairs are "wraparounds" or armchairs.
(Apols for thread drift.)

just means your session needs more box and banjo players. Our local session can drown out the sports bar crowd.

Most of the places we play weren’t designed for live music acoustics, and that’s always a shame. Every now and then you can find a pub that has great acoustics. When you find one of those, hold onto it! One of the trends in the U.S., at least, is the "deconstructionist" look, where the insides of the buildings are left with open high ceilings and exposed duct work… The trend seems to be trying to show off the architectural beauty (especially in older buildings), and harken back to simpler times. But it’s brutal on acoustics. There are restaurants that are so noisy just from all the conversation that I can’t stand it sometimes, let alone try to play music in that kind of environment.

Depending on how you see it, sometimes you’re lucky/unlucky to get a room your own. We once got an empty room close to the bar. Unfortunately, the acoustic conditions (lack of people, really!) amplified our music and drowned everything else. :D We were only two musicians, both fairly quiet players.

Years ago I played in a session near to where I live. I didn’t play melody, just tried to keep up with rhythm on 5 string banjo. When the bar started getting a bit "shouty" the guy who organised the session started calling for order. God love him, he made more noise than the people he was trying to quieten down! Lovely fella, I’d love to have a pint with him again!
Alex.

You’re standing up with a drink in your hand because there’s no furniture, and you can’t hear what anyone’s saying. What’s that going to do to the rate of consumption?
"HVVD" (And of course, it’s an abbreviation, not an acronym. Or can you pronounce it!)

Having to stand up at the bar or sit on uncomfortable furniture will probably cause you to drink quicker but not neccesarily want to stay so long. So, a customer may have one or two and move to another pub which creates a "pub crawling" culture. The management won’t mind too much as other punters will soon replace those who have left. It’s a bit like a revolving door.

Of course, such an atmosphere is not conducive to either playing or listening to trad music.

Punters may not be replaced if they see how bloody crowded it is that they would have to stand. They may move on without entering.

The other aspect of shouty sessions is when they keep asking/ shouting for The Wild Rover or Adele’s latest pop number (which is what?) To which you say, "We’ll do requests if we know them." ( and like them.)

It’s been a problem for a while. In England there were pubs with separate rooms - a snug, a lounge, a bar. You could have a session in one room without imposing on everyone else. I believe the police encouraged pubs to redesign so they were more open-plan and dodgy drug-dealing could be policed. This with the fashion for basic floorboards and wooden furniture instead of carpets and soft furniture has made pubs more "bright" acoustically and loud so that you have to shout to have a normal conversation and so, of course, does everyone else

Some pubs’ session acoustics have been improved by redesigns.
It’s nice to have at least one wood-panelled corner to sit in.

Posted by .