Mandola

Mandola

Has anyone exsperienced mandola in dgad tuning.

Re: Mandola

tjarvis, there have been various discussions on dgad tuning over the years - enter a search
you will probably find what you need. I like GDAE but thats just me.

It wouldn’t be DGDA tuning?

Isn’t a mandola tuned to DGAD simply a short-scale bouzouki?

@tjarvis770000: ‘dgad’ is ambiguous. Which end is the high string and which is low? Either way round, it doesn’t seem a plausible tuning without drastically changing your string gauges. *D,GDA*, as sbhikes suggests, would be just a small tweak from standard mandola/viola tuning (C,GDA).

…and beware of another ambiguity: The term ‘mandola’ is often used, particularly in Europe, for an instrument tuned an octave below the mandolin/fiddle (G,D,A,E) - what americans call (very sensibly) an ‘octave mandolin’.

callison: As for me, Bouzouki tuning can be G,DAd (gdad) or G,DAe (gdae) but I never heard about DGAd (dgad). DGDA may very well be a innovation for the mandola, then chords and scales geometry has to be adapted.

In fact dgad is like the 4th higher stings (in tone) of a DADGAD guitar.

sorry my mistake the latest discussion was about GDAD tuning - like standard tuning with the highest strings down 1 tone. I don’t see how dgad would work.

I tune my 17" scale length mandola, lowest tone to highest tone, to DAEA - not so different from the standard mandola tuning of CGDA that different string gauges are required. I like this tuning because the DAE strings, that I’m familiar with on my mandolin and tenor banjo, and are often used for melody playing, are still available. This is also nice because the B on the highest-pitch string, which in GDAE can be a bit of a stretch, is right handy. The only down side is the lack of a low G. On most tunes this doesn’t cause a problem; on other tunes an alternative must be devised. Sometime I go an octave higher, and other times I just find a different note or don’t play a note at all at that point in the tune. Good luck in your tuning search.

Posted by .

@lahu: Youre correct, I got completely caught up in the size of the instrument and the notes themselves and not their order.

This post has become totally confusing!!!

Nobody seems sure what tuning they’re discussing or what order the notes are in.