APC bouzoukis - any thoughts

APC bouzoukis - any thoughts

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of APC bouzoukis in general; I was looking at a couple in Moloney’s in Galway but didn’t have time to try anything. Any thoughts would be much appreciated; I’m not looking to spend too much so they seem to fit that part at least 🙂

Thanks a million.

Re: APC bouzoukis - any thoughts

try one, then try something really good. Notice a difference in sound or playability? Do the differences matter to you? If not, then you’ve found your instrument

Thanks Steve, that is sound advice, but I should have mentioned that I am now approximately 4000 miles from Moloney’s or any other APC bouzouki, apparently. I think I’ll have to just wait till I return to Ireland and make it a priority then; a very helpful bouzouki player by the name of Paddy Kerr told me they were supposedly a good mid-price option, though I’m not sure if he had played one himself. Thanks.

That’s very helpful, useful information from Mr. Moloney himself, thank you Reverend.

Just a quick comment.

APC bouzoukis are generally regarded as reasonably good mid range instruments. Some of their competition have been historically less playable than APCs. More recently I have come across APCs with wider fingerboards that are not as playable IMHO.

The reason I post this is that playability is a major factor in selection of an instrument which is frequently overlooked, when sound and tone are regarded as the overriding concerns. But over time most players apprciate the value of an instrument that is comfortable to play.

I have owned two Joe Foleys and the second one that I still own is much more comfortable to play!