Johnny Cunningham memorial drink

Johnny Cunningham memorial drink

I saw this on Johnny Cunningham’s website (www.johnnycunningham.com, in the News section).

The Cunningham:
1 1/2 oz scotch whiskey
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/4 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Chambord or cherry liqueur
Serve chilled with a brandied cherry.

Since ITMers love their potables, and since Johnny played Irish music as well as Scottish (at least with Relativity and Celtic Fiddle Festival, anyway!), I thought I’d let sessioneers know about another excuse to drink and play music. Not that any of us need an excuse, but what the hey. ;)

Sara

Re: Johnny Cunningham memorial drink

That’s a terrible thing to do to whiskey.

But it’s only Scotch whisky !

Posted by .

Try putting some brown sauce in it ….

Don’t they hang people in Aberdeen for saying that sort of thing Kenny?

I would have thought - - -

I would have thought you’d want something that he would be willing to drink himself. But, maybe it was being offered for the craic, and that sort of humour was definitely in him. I could imagine him poisoning someone with this sort of sweet concoction, but not spoiling a good Scotch this way, no way.

I agree with ‘Showaddydadito’, personally I like it neat, but appreciate a good mixed drink. This combination speaks more to say a good vodka, Moskovskaya maybe? While Master Cunningham dipped his bow into many things, including Country Western, I still can’t see this being a fit memorial drink. I think something raw and breathtakingly hot, maybe one of those mad Eastern European plum brandies and a birdseye chilli, for the laugh… And to remind us of that beautiful edge to his playing and his personality, that reminded you of the pleasures of life…and the pain too…

Hey instead of Scotch whisky (no "e"), why not use one of those disgusting Japanese blends that masquerades as Scotch?

Marginally better than usng it to clean the toilet.

Conan, you obviously haven’t tasted the better Japanese blends - they don’t masquerade as Scotch, they are Japanese whisky, and very nice indeed.

And, shocking as it may seem, I know many Aberdonians who mix whisky with all sorts of shite. And many others who would be aghast at anything other than water. But surely the most abused drink in the world is Tennessee’s Jack Daniel, a very fine whisky which (O triumph of marketing) is mixed with all sorts of shite more often than not. Give it a try with a splash of water, evenn if you can’t manage the recommended "Tennessee branch water".

Posted by .

No Bren, you’re right - never tasted Japanese whisky that was actually branded as Japanese.

I remember not being too impressed with "Scotch", made in Japan that claimed to have been "brewed from the finest Scottish grapes". Maybe things have changed since then - we’re talking ten years ago.

You’re right, Bren; it is shocking what people will pour into a perfectly good glass of whisky. However, I will acknowledge an old Christmas tradition of my Tennessee in-laws that is quite a treat: a generous tot of bourbon floated gently on top of the boiled custard eaten for dessert at Christmas dinner. Lovely. We never used Jack Daniels, though, always Wild Turkey. Jack Daniels’ highest use is to drink with the bit of spring water. (Not that nasty chlorinated stuff)

I can’t drink whisky myself (or any hard liquor —- got a dicky liver) so have no clue what the drink would taste like. Casey O’Neill, the musician who sent the recipe to Johnny’s site, said it was good and Johnny would have loved it. I never knew the man, sadly, so can’t guess.
Oh well, it was a thought. Note to self: mixed drinks class with certain nameless organizations as something not to post about.
Sara

Nonsense, Sara. Everything seems to be fair game for discussion. It all turns into a stream of consciousness rant anyway; much more amusing than, say, work.

B & B…

Oops. That’s Casey Neill, no O’. Sorry! :p
So what was Johnny’s brand of whiskey, does anyone know?
Sara

"finest Scottish grapes"!!! Ah ha hahahahaha!

And doesn’t that sound like him!
"We don’t normally do requests. Unless we’re asked."
Sara

Johnny certainly enjoyed a dram but nothing quite as elaborate. At least, not in Sandy Bells or the St Vincent, anyway. :-0)

To celebrate my grandsons birthday with me 13 years ago (July 23) Johnny reached into his back pocket and pulled out a flask containing pure Laphroaig (Islay-single)and told me we should celebrate such an occasion "properly". True story!WB

Well, I finally tried a Cunningham in honor of Himself’s birthday yesterday. It’s basically a slightly exotic whiskey sour, and if you like whiskey sours it’s quite good! In fact, the bartender liked it so much he kept the recipe and added it to his repertoire. But it wasn’t made with a *good* scotch, so Dave can still speak to me. 😉

Slight diversion - story told at Blazing Fiddles concert re Johnny Cunningham:

When feeling homesick, Johnny was in the habit of buying a Scotch pie and standing eating it whilst having a cold shower.

In the best folk tradition, whether true or not, it’s still a good story.
🙂

Posted by .

LOL, Ron! The way I’d heard it was that he did that with a fish supper (fish and chips for us Yanks), but a Scotch pie is even funnier.