New site feature: pop-up tune previews

New site feature: pop-up tune previews

I’ve just rolled out a small little enhancement to the site. It should be fairly unobtrusive, but I hope it will be helpful.

If you’re on a desktop browser, then when your cursor hovers over the title of a tune, a little preview of that tune’s sheetmusic will appear after a brief delay (in a similar fashion to the the little member profile previews that appear when you hover over somebody’s name). You can see it in action in the tunes section (although it won’t work in really old browsers):

https://thesession.org/tunes

I think this might be particularly useful when you’re browsing through your tunebook: it’s handy to have a little reminder of how the tune starts. This is an incipit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incipit#In_music

"Incipits are especially useful in music because they can call to mind the reader’s own musical memory of the work where a printed title would fail to do so."

Sorry that there isn’t an equivalent functionality for this on mobile/touchscreens. I wanted to keep this discrete and not clog up the interface with more buttons or links, hence the decision to show the incipits on hover.

Anyway, I hope you like this little addition. If you do, then—shameless plug—feel free to make a donation (or set up a recurring donation) to help fund the ongoing upkeep of The Session:

https://thesession.org/donate

Thanks!

Re: New site feature: pop-up tune previews

It works! (Even in my dinosaur browser)

Oh, and this applies to the track listings on recordings too—any tune titles that are linked to tunes on The Session will have a preview on hover:

https://thesession.org/recordings/6041

[beaten to it again]
A "small little enhancement" indeed - quite brilliant!
It should prove to be especially useful for the Recordings section, for both browsing and quickly checking that an entry indeed points to the correct tune (if not the correct version!).
Thanks Jeremy!

Great addition, Jeremy.

I noticed while rehearsing last night.
I wondered if I’d missed it before. Glad to hear it’s a new feature.

I liked it immediately, because it functions a a kind of cheatsheet while browsing my tune book.

Posted by .

Thank you Jason for this improvement on your already awesome site!

What a wonderful addition Jeremy. Many thanks!

Very useful Jeremy, especially with recordings. It may have a use you hadn’t intended: to show that the linked tune is or is not the one played on the album (assuming one already has the album). It’s not obtrusive — nicely done! Thanks.

Posted by .

Like Toon, I noticed it yesterday, and thought it was a feature I’d simply missed before. What clever!

You are a star!

Hey Hey! :)

Jeremy, you genius! Thank you!

Also just noticed when browsing. As others noted, useful as quick check that its the expected link when different tunes have same names.
Incidentally, if anyone wants to achieve a printed (or pdf, for ‘tablet’ use) version of their tunebook as first line incipits, e.g. for quick reminder of ‘how tunes start’ in live situations, then easily achieved in the free ‘EasyABC’ app (OSX , Windows or Linux; https://sourceforge.net/projects/easyabc/). Just download your tunebook ABCs from ‘Your profile’ link, paste into EasyABC, then choose to print the notation as incipits.

EasyABC is one of my most used pieces of software. Very easy to edit the abc’s to be a version as you know it /want it, and the the resulting audio replay is good enough to check your editing as you go.

Hopefully, no one expects to learn how to actually play a tune from midi sounds, or for that matter, from the score. However, as a learner of tunes ‘by ear’ and a very poor sight reader, I often just want a reminder how a tune goes. And it often just takes those first few notes for that purpose.

It works on my old browser too. Very helpful. Thanks Jeremy.

Posted by .

Nice!

Works fine for me :)

Smart feature.. well implemented.

I wonder for TheSession community which format is the most widely used/read ABC or musical score?

gbyrne, I’ll always use old-style abcs over staff notation; if it’s jotting down a new tune when it comes up.
It’s not all the information of tradsite abcs but you don’t need too much if you’ve retained the tune at all.
And most of the (jotted) staff notation I get from good transcribers, while it may be a perfect rendition,
I can barely read their writing.

Looks real slick, Mr. Keith.

Posted by .

What a lovely feature — thank you ever so much, Jeremy!