Arty McGlynn documentary

Arty McGlynn documentary

I saw on Facebook and Twitter that there was going to be a documentary on RTE about Arty McGlynn but unfortunately I didn’t see it until after it was over. https://twitter.com/SeMoLaochTG4/status/1057976589273780224

Does anyone know if there’s a way to watch an archived version?

Re: Arty McGlynn documentary

TG4 app. Search music. So far this season… Frankie Gavin, Matt Molloy, Maighread and Triona Ni Dhomhnaill, Arty McGlynn. About an hour each.

thanks Conical, your link worked fine - a fascinating program, what an amazing guitar player, never realized that he was a jazzer as well!

Fantastic, thanks Conical!!

BTW this is a series, there are other episodes with Matt Molloy, Frankie Gavin and Maighread & Triona NiDomnhaill.

Watched it last night. It filled in a few gaps in my knowledge of Arty. He came across as incredibly pragmatic and deadpan about his amazing ability on the guitar. This man can literally operate in any genre and make it sound completely authentic. There seems to be no limit to his musicality yet he is so humble and unassuming. For example, for years he was a "go-to" pedal steel player, not an easy instrument to master.

I had the pleasure of meeting and playing with him once. (Yes! I own a guitar that’s been played by the maestro!!!) He has a fantastic sense of humour which you need to lock into as he is completely deadpan. During our chat I asked him was there anything that he still wanted to achieve (this to a guitarist who has seen and done it all…) - he said his biggest regret was that he had never been asked to go on a Comhaltas US tour.

There’s a hilarious YouTube video of Arty (with Cathal Hayden) introducing a set of tunes.

One of the real Irish guitar heroes - and there are plenty of impostors.