Kickstarter project

Kickstarter project

My friend and I have been performing for 12 years and never made a professional recording…until now! We’re recording soon, but we need help, as we will lose hundreds of dollars each on this project. Donations of $15-$50 get signed copies of our CD and other rewards. The CD is called Six Months in Confession and features these favorites:

Raggle Taggle Gypsy, The Ferryman, Can’t Help Falling In Love, The Foggy Dew, more songs, amazing reels, moving jigs, and, yes, even some hornpipes. The cost of the project will be around $1500, and we need to raise at least $250 of that in order to receive any funding through Kickstarter. Thanks for your consideration!

Re: Kickstarter project

What do you mean with: ‘we will lose hundreds of dollars each on this project’?

Wrong place to ask really - we’re mostly musicians who face the same conundrum.
"Top Titch Tips"

CD are history man.

"Home" recording these days is the way to go for small projects - publish digitally - dosn’t have to cost much at all, decent gear can be purchased for $$ and any one off higher value stuff can always be sold on after the project is complete, and you’ll learn a lot.

But if you really want to "… loose hundreds of dollars" go ahead.

People on this website might be more interested in the "amazing reels", "moving jigs" and "hornpipes". The choice of songs, to be honest, doesn’t look too promising. It certainly doesn’t cost anything to put up examples of your music on "Youtube", I suggest you maybe try that first. I’d be surprised if anyone parts with money to musicians without hearing any of their playing first.

Posted by .

It would be good to hear a sample of your stuff first!

My wife and I have been driving for 42 years and never considered buying an electric car…until now! We’re shopping for a Telsa Model S soon, but we need help, as we will lose tens of thousands of dollars each on this project. Donations of $15-$50 get rides in our new Telsa and other rewards. The license plate reads "OHMSLAW" and the car options include :

Fully Autonomous Driving, Dual Heated Seats, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, Ludicrous Mode, more features, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, active collision avoidance, and, yes, even AM radio. The cost of the project will be around $96000, and we need to raise at least $250 of that in order to receive any funding through Kickstarter. Thanks for your consideration!

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Not a big fan of random Kickstarter appeals for CD production, instrument purchase, etc. when many of us have just had to figure out how to fund projects and be willing to take the risk involved rather than incurring zero risk through crowdfunding.

I don’t really understand it either. The OP estimates a cost of $1500, that’s $750 each. Friends & family will likely buy a few, let’s say leaving $500 each to put in. That’s pretty good value for a vanity project.

Firmly of the view that these sort of publications/ recordings should stand on their own feet. If they’re any good, people will buy them. If they’re not, then they don’t deserve to be made, except as a vanity exercise.

Posted .

If it’s a vanity project swallow the cost. If you’re looking at it as a commercial venture and hoping to make money, cut your costs. Last year I worked on a charity CD. By doing most of the work themselves and pulling in favours from people like me they got the total cost, including copyright license, duplication, printing and cases down to under £300 for 200 discs. That leaves plenty of room for profit. Do the first one like that, and if it sell OK it will pay for a ‘proper’ second album. If it doesn’t sell you haven’t lost much.

I have already helped certain musicians and singers with such projects and will probably do so in the future.

However, so far, it has been those people whom I already respect and whose music I enjoy. So I’ve no problem with pledging £10-£15 towards an album which I would be intending to buy anyway. I’ve not lost anything and, if I’m helping them along the way that’s fair enough.

Of course, there are usually other interesting things on offer. I’ve seen all sorts of things from free house concerts, private tuition and so on. Again, if it’s something I already wanted or particularly appeals to me, why not?

However, in this instance, I know very little about the OP and the duo’s music and, as others here have commented, many people here are in the same boat but don’t expect to be subsidised by strangers who know little about them or their music.

So, basically, this type of project is fine if you have enough friends or a good following and enough people respect what you are trying to do. That has to come first.

Oh, and I’m not sure what the OP means by "losing money"? It’s not a really a "loss" if the money is being spent on something which one really wants to do.

I agree with all the comments so far, in particular with Kenny when he said,"The choice of songs, to be honest, doesn’t look too promising". I wouldn’t pay to hear them(yet again). But what do you mean by ‘AMAZING’ reels? and ‘MOVING’ jigs, and ‘EVEN’ some hornpipes? Sorry but your very words invite my scepticism.

Posted by .

I have to add that I think this is the wrong sort of site to be fundraising on. You should do this sort of thing on facebook.

Posted by .

Re: Kickstarter project ~ Brilliant ;)

Michael and Colleen, I wouldn’t be discouraged by the sarcastic responses to your KickStarter project.
It’s the strange uneasiness which creeps up all too often.

Having said that I am not offended by anything you have posted on this sometimes civil forum. No offense,
Kenny and Gobby. I love you but I’m willing to consider backing this couple’s project despite your skepticism.

Michael, I don’t buy CDs these days. If you can provide a download and maybe send any liner notes from the CD
I am good for at least $10 of the $250 you are attempting to raise to help pay for your project.

Happy recording,
Ben

Posted by .

"…If you can provide a download…"

Yes, I’d like to hear a jig or a reel. OP, think you could post a link?

Posted by .

I don’t see any sarcastic comments here. Any scepticism is surely justified given the lack of examples, and the real difficulties of making much profit from C.D.s. And then like I said, the very language used in the appeal;- I mean, what constitutes a ‘moving’ jig? Give me an example. Give me a demonstration of an ‘amazing’ reel. And why would one say ‘even’ a hornpipe. There is nothing at all unusual about hornpipes. And there is nothing sarcastic about me, questioning these things.

Posted by .

Gobby, I think Michael Eskin was being sarcastic. Don’t you?

Posted by .

OH! Yes indeed. Sorry, missed it. Sarcasm doesn’t appeal to me.

Posted by .

I am being sarcastic mostly, but I still think the end result for a recording project is better if one has some skin in the game rather than having anonymous others pay in advance. The creative imperative to produce an end product that is truly excellent and would be in great demand, and would incidentally easily pay for itself in sales I would think has to be altered by the funding dynamics.

I still want to hear a jig or a reel.

Posted by .

Or even a hornpipe!
But still, my attitude regardless of whether I thought you were good or not, would be the same. Primarily this is the discussion section and an appeal is not a discussion. There are other places on the internet for appeals. Maybe if you put your case forward on one of those sites, and supplied some proof of your ability, you could then simply discuss your project here and provide a link for anybody who would like to help you. I Think because of the way you have approached us, that all the responses here have been valid. Even Michele Eskin’s ‘sarcasm’ makes a valid point (and it IS funny).
I have personally supported a few self funded projects but I would only do it through a legitimate site, and only for young talent who I thought had potential (not necessarily good but with the potential).

Posted by .

I like to support young musicians and I listen to CDs. For one thing CDs are really the only place you can get liner notes with details about tunes.

But I wouldn’t give any money to anyone without having some idea of what they’re doing and I doubt too many people would unless they’re related to you. Posting a sound clip or video would help you in your efforts, and a little bit of marketing might help you not to lose money on the project.

You need to think about how you’re pitching this. What you are telling us is that you feel you deserve to have your music recorded, and that a CD will get you more gigs, but you will lose money on the production costs so you’re putting out a begging bowl. What you are asking people to do is pre-purchase a copy of the CD. You appear to be offering a selection of fairly standard songs and some unspecified tunes, accompanied with guitar and fiddle, and I don’t wish to appear rude but on paper/screen that doesn’t excite me very much. Maybe you do something really special with them, but I why should you expect total strangers to purchase your CD unheard? At the very least you should give us some sound clips and a full track listing so we know what we’re being asked to pay for, and that it’s a worthwhile project from our point of view and not just from yours. You need to persuade us that this will be something we will want to listen to and will be proud to have had a part in realising.

You may sell more than you expect. The internet means you can have a global market - my band based in Manchester UK is getting Spotify hits from North and South America, the Phillipines, Australia and and number of other unlikely locations. Folk CDs have a "long tail" and are not subject to fashion, so people will continue to buy them many years after they were made - I’m still getting internet sales of an album made more than 30 years ago by a band which broke up more than 20 years ago. And if, as you hope, a CD raises your profile and gets you more gigs it will pay for itself even if the sales themselves don’t.

Sorry for not responding sooner…life got in the way of a lot of things this week. Thank you all for your feedback…your input is very much appreciated.

Jezaja, thanks for posting the link. I completely forgot to add it!

I had asked Jeremy in advance if it was okay and appropriate to post this here. He said that as long as it was trad music, it would be okay.

We did a home recording many years ago, but it came out sounding very amateurish and we were not happy with it or proud of it. A studio recording is what we are after at this point. We need something that sounds more professional if we want to be considered for festivals in the area.

I definitely should not have posted this in the wording that I did. I should have tailored the description more for this site and this crowd. Sorry for that.

I definitely want an actual CD, rather than just mp3s or a thumb drive, or whatever it is that is the fashion now. I’m a bit old school.

Here are some links to some live stuff, tunes and a song (with a tune).

https://youtu.be/ruHZFNZ07Eo

https://youtu.be/Bpc8gYV1xbY

Again, thanks to everyone for their feedback and suggestions!

Thanks for posting the videos and details!

Ditto, what Michael posted.

Posted by .

I see no harm in making the appeal… just don’t expect everyone to climb onboard. If you don’t like the music than just scroll on. If you like it and want to help — more power to ya.

I still want a free Tesla.

I like your music! Good luck with the recording! Im not really in a position to support it, and I’m frankly not sure if I would want to anyway. No one paid for my recording sessions! You just eat the cost and hope to make it back eventually by selling the cd at gigs. And if you don’t, well, you simplified your Christmas shopping for the year and got some experience and hopefully a nice set of recordings out of it. No harm in trying to get someone to soften the blow though I suppose.

Thx @SavFid for posting examples!

@Michael Eskin:

I heard there’s one flying in space right now. When it drops from orbit I highly recommend to search for the impact crater :D

I feel like in the name of balance I should pitch in to stand up for Kickstarter projects in general. I think they do indeed stand or fall based on their own merits - by default, as that is how the model works!

Just cos others have ‘sucked up’ the cost of recording in advance of booking the studio and/or pressing up CDs, does not mean there is something somehow contentious (from a moral point of view) in others trying to get the money beforehand.

I’ll contribute to a Kickstarter if I hear some evidence of blindingly good music that will result in an album I want to hear. My contribution will basically be the cost of buying a CD; for which I would expect to receive a CD! So about £10. Basically I think of Kickstarter campaigns as just paying for the album in advance of hearing it.

Which is, when you think about it, back what people used to do in the old days anyway. And, just like in the old days, I would do this if I already knew and liked the group; or read excellent reviews of them; and I would expect to at least have heard 2 or 3 tracks.

To play devil’s advocate, if a Kickstarter project achieves its aim then I don’t see how it can be called a vanity project, as it has made money in a way that plenty of professional albums don’t these days.