Alec Finn R.I.P.

Alec Finn R.I.P.

Sorry to be the bearer of tragic news, but it’s been reported by Jack Campin on the "Mudcat Cafe" website that bouzouki player and founder member of "De Dannan", Alec Finn, has passed away. I only met him once, at a session in Miltown. A lovely, very welcoming gentleman, and one of the all-time greats in accompanying Irish traditional music. May he rest in peace.
Here’s the link Jack provided : https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdvertiser/photos/a.10150259308546941/10156963576771941/

Posted by .

Re: Alec Finn R.I.P.

Very sad news, RIP Alec.

Really sad.
His playing was quite distinctive and very much a trademark of Dé Danann as they were known when I first heard their music.
He was also a good friend of Kevin McLeod(The Occasionals) and I saw them play together on quite a few occasions.
Condolences to all Alec’s family and friends.

This is indeed devastating news! Alec was a pioneer, and had a hand in making many of my favorite recordings something special! From playing tenor guitars with John Carty on "I Will If I Can" to accompanying Dylan Foley and Dan Gurney on their "Hudson Valley" album… And don’t get me started on De Dannan and the other hundreds of recordings he played on… Alec showed an incredible range of knowledge of this music, and brought a distinctive flair that has helped define the sound of Irish Traditional Music for generations to come! My thoughts go out to everyone feeling the devastation of this news!

Sad news. He was a legendary player and fantastic artist. He seemed like such a lovely man. May he rest in peace.

just last night I was watching him on Se Mo Laoch TG4 - towards the end of the program he stated quite casually ‘I have cancer’………………….I had the honour of meeting him at a gig in Birmingham about 30 years ago - a tragic loss to Irish music.

Yes, very sad. So many of his recordings with Frankie Gavin are superb. I think he also played on Noel Hill and Tony Linnane’s album, and also that wonderful recording "The Wind Among the Reeds". Treasures, all. RIP.

Very sad news indeed. I can remember playing along with the recordings of Alec and Frankie Gavin many years ago. I think they were both in their teens at the time of that first album.

RIP, Alec - you made some wonderful music.

Actually, Jim, Alec was about 12-13 years older than Frankie. But you’re correct, Frankie was still a teenager in the early days of De Dannan and his first recording with Alec. I did trade quick texts with Frankie about it today. He’s pretty torn up about it. :-(

Just heard. Sad news.

I have him playing on many recordings, every one of them were so wonderful. A great, great musician.

I always felt his playing epitomised the "less is more" approach to backing. Let us hope that his legacy lives on in some younger players.

A friend told me last Sunday that he and Frankie had patched up their differences, it was a new start etc. Had no idea Alec was ill. He’s always been my favorite bouzouki player - who would deny that he was great at it - yet did anyone ever follow him in sticking with the 3 course bowel back instrument with the Greek tuning? If I’m remembering this right - he stuck with the original tuning, right? But Johnny and Donal came up with other tunings.

"… did anyone ever follow him in sticking with the 3 course bowl back instrument with the Greek tuning?"

A few have done.

Yes, I just read this. How sad.

@Winston Smith, are you a bodhran player by any chance? I think I might remember you from the Enniscorthy Fleadh, was it 1999 or 2000, both of us were in the All Ireland Senior bodhran competition. :)

Very sad. It is probably the end of De Dannan’ as we knew them. It has been a sad year for Ireland’s instrumental culture’ as it also saw the passing of Liam O’ Flynn.

"It has been a sad year for Ireland’s instrumental culture’ as it also saw the passing of Liam O’ Flynn."

…not to mention Tommy Peoples.

Thank you for posting those videos.

Posted by .

Sad news I last met him a few years ago at Miltown Malbay concertina gathering where he was playing in the church with Noel Hill and Tony Linnane again.
We chatted about the old folk club days in Rotherham in South Yorkshire where he grew up. We had been to see Robin Williamson later of Incredible String Band . He said the family wanted him to live in Ireland rather than England. Can’t blame them!