Andy Irvine Legacy Video

Andy Irvine Legacy Video

I filmed Andy Irvine a couple of times (taught video to middle school kids for 25 years). I have had numerous conversations with him about his legacy, and being 76 he is not getting younger. He is planning to come to my home in early December (2018) to film his playing. (I was encouraging him to do something to preserve his legacy.) Books are one avenue to pursue, but I suggested we use video and record him playing and talking about how he works his magic. It needs to be organized but I also want it to be organic, let him go where he wants to. I am looking for any suggestions that you have, would like to see etc. Here is one of the playlists of what I filmed. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqqpDhPt7rdTK2PkUg_vMlHVUbPDhlqC-

Re: Andy Irvine Legacy Video

I’d first just like to thank you for the work you’ve done recording him, and others, in the past with high quality video and sound. I’ve been a bit obsessed with Planxty, and in turn, Andy this past year, and your videos (and others like them) have helped me immensely when trying to figure out his arrangements for myself. A clear video makes all the difference, especially getting to see his fingers. I’ve been through that playlist in the past, and another from the same youtube channel (if thats all you) with Andy playing in what looks like a backyard.

I feel that a very underappreciated arrangement of his is Champion at Keeping Them Rollin’, off his most recent CD with Luke Plumb. The arrangement is very intricate and of his style, but unlike many of his other more popular songs (Blacksmith, Plains of Kildare) there are almost no recordings of him playing it live on youtube. All I could find was part of the song in one video (https://youtu.be/4_dwXs5aa8E?t=125) (2:04)

and the whole song from 2006 (if the date is correct) (https://youtu.be/JkLCvmzFFtM?t=1804) (30:04), showing he has had this arrangement for at least 12 years before it made it onto a CD. I don’t know if you plan on having him play songs full through, or if he would be taking requests, but having that song documented with clear video and sound would be a joy.

I wonder if it is common for him to arrange a song and have 10 years pass before it ends up being properly recorded.

I’m sure i’ll be happy with whatever you decide to put in the video, thanks again for all your work.
Liam

Posted by .

Thank you Peachy, thats a great resource. I have always been mesmerized by Andy’s left hand. It is a very distinct style of playing. A lot of standardization of technique has occurred over the last ten years or so, and I"m not sure it’s if of any benefit to the music.

I’ve been through that playlist in the past, and another from the same youtube channel (if thats all you) with Andy playing in what looks like a backyard.

Yes, that was me. I play in a band Three Times Through (www.threetimesthrough.com) and we created a channel years ago for our stuff. I also taught video to middle schoolers for 25 years so had some skills in recording live events. We started recording Celtic and other folk musicians as they come through our area and added them to our channel. My wife and I also go to Acadia Trad school every year and film those shows. Lots of great music coming out of those videos too. (John Doyle, Eamon O’Leary, Liz Carroll, Bruce Molsky…) I am thinking with Andy it will be something like you suggested, play a tune/song through then break it up and discuss the various parts, something like that…

Andy is alas destined to be only fully appriciated after his time on this planet like so many other greats. His legacy will take care of itself.

What ? ! ?
He’s 76 ?
Does he have a painting in his attic ?
But he was complaining about having to carry FOUR bouzoukis upstairs to Walthamstow FC a little while ago, so maybe…..