Inlay on Paramount Headstock

Inlay on Paramount Headstock

Hi,
A bit of a nerdy banjo question, but I hope someone might have an answer.

I’m hoping the good people on here might have ideas on how to touch up the silver inlay on a Paramount headstock.

I bought a Style A recently, which needs a bit of TLC, and a chunk of inlay had been replaced on the headstock. It’s got the usual tarnishes and little dents that you’d expect from an old instrument but the inlay is a bit of an eyesore. It’s very off colour, much more than you could forgive, so I wonder if anyone would know where I could lay my hands on the silver material to replace it/touch it up.

Posted by .

Re: Inlay on Paramount Headstock

These inlays are more than likely mother-of-pearl unless they’ve been replaced by something else.
If it’s in good condition otherwise, I would just have the head stock cleaned up.
If you need replacement inlays you can probably get them here:
http://luthiersupply.com/Banjo-inlays.html

Re: Inlay on Paramount Headstock

I have a Style C and Style E both of which I have restored. The inlay on the head stock and the fret board are MOP. I was fortunate that all the inlays were intact. I am not sure how but the detail is etched in black and if you rub too hard that detail will go. I would try cleaning with white spirit. If you use methalated spirt it may well rip off the polish.