Session nightmare

Session nightmare

I had a dream I was at a session. They just finished up a tune I didn’t know, so I asked one of the leaders what it was. He said, “It’s the old Maude Miller, and by the time you learn it we’ll never play it again.”

Re: Session nightmare

Except for the part where someone says "we’ll never play it again" out loud, it happens all the time. If only it was a dream. Equally scary is the idea that I’ll hear wonderful tunes while traveling, learn them, and have to face the fact that at home nobody else but me is ever going to play them. That box is harder to get into than an Egyptian pyramid.

Arthur, it is a good tune. I’d learn it despite what you dreamt. I’ve seen tunes come and go in sessions. After one has been gone for a long time it sneaks out again down the road. Maybe not at the session in your nightmare. But there are other sessions which might play it after you’ve learnt it.

Posted by .

Is is ever a waste of time to learn a tune and then never play it again? I must have learned dozens of tunes, played them on my own for a while, then not played them since.
Aside from that, if you did learn the tune, if you then started it at your session, wouldn’t the others, who knew the tune, join in? Both Maudes are classic tunes and are well worth learning.

If you had a really good crystal ball then it could predict for you what they will be playing next year and you could start learning it now. The day would come and the tune that was predicted would arrive and they would play it and so would you and you would get your happy glow - the first time and the second - but then you’d start thinking: "This is boring!"

If I learn a tune ,David, and I start it, and someone joins in, I’m ecstatic beyond words! Alert the media! The rub is that mostly no-one will know it, and worse, no-one will learn it. The pattern around here is that it’s hard to find anyone who has learned a new tune in a decade! Of course we do get a rare newcomer who eagerly learns tunes but they seem to only learn the tunes that are already wearing grooves in the floor (good tunes, just not new ones). Visitors bring new tunes to us, and I’ll leap on them, but mostly I’m the outlier. The key word here is mostly, not always. No real harm except that I seem to have a long list of tunes I once played but can’t bring out at will. Learning new tunes is half, but only half, the fun. Of course, I know that the new tune I hear is only new to me. It’s likely wearing a groove where they usually play. It’s an endless cycle, a problem with no solution and, though I sometimes rant about it, I love being a part of it.

Oh, and I have to remember that a fiddler joined us about a year ago. It has been joyful to me when I play a new tune and she’s right there with me.

Until this last year, I used to go to a weekly mixed instrument class, where we would learn new tunes - not every week, but probably 7 or 8 in a term of 10 classes: all good tunes, but, out of the whole year, maybe only 2 or 3 would really stick, take hold, grab the imagination, get played again and again. My nightmare would be to forget one of these much-loved tunes.

My current session nightmare happened last night. I drove a 110 miles to a session and no one else showed up (eventually one other intrepid soul showed up and we agreed that two people wouldn’t cut it so we all went home where it was warm). I forgot that the Thanksgiving Holiday can do that but I drove 85 miles the other direction on Saturday and we had a spectacular session. It all balances out in the end I suppose.

There are tunes you learn because you like them and others because you have to do so for one reason or another.

Maybe the latter is in a course/class environment(As Trish said), or for a gig/concert, or even a "If you can’t beat them, join them" scenario at your local session(s)?

However, the former is by far the most satisfying. If you get the opportunity to play these regularly, then that’s an even bigger bonus. I never regret making the effort though. If they please me, that’s the main thing.

" I drove 85 miles the other direction on Saturday and we had a spectacular session" -Callison

Feenicks? Just guessing… seeing your location… it must be very difficult being a session-goer so far from any urban centre.

We’re spoiled here in Greater Los Angeleez with a number of sessions within an hour’s drive if one lives more or less in the middle- an hour can get me to The Valley or to San Diego.

But yes to the OP’s point if I take the time to learn a tune I hear at a session it’s guaranteed to never be played again. Up to the point I learn it, it’s regularly played.

Here’s a real nightmare…..

I once walked 500 hundred miles to a session and there was a bunch of guitar bashers singing Proclaimers songs. :-(

I just turned around and walked 500 more.

Good one, Johnny!

Thank you, Johnny Jay, Melody Player. I’ve just had my first ever laugh-out-loud on this website.