Incipits Sheet using mandolintab.net

Incipits Sheet using mandolintab.net

Someone asked me last night how to make a cheat sheet. I told her she could download EasyAbc and use the incipits utility. Or I could send her a formatted example for pasting into the online abc converter. I thought it would be prudent to run the latter technique past my brilliant colleagues here to help polish out any rough patches before forwarding the information to her.

This is my example, below. It’s the 10 newest settings from the database. Let me know what you think and any suggestions for improvement. Thank you!

%%titlefont Helvetica-Oblique 13
%%subtitlefont Helvetica-Oblique 13
%%musicspace -0.5cm
%%multicol start
%%rightmargin 11.5cm
%%leftmargin 1.5cm
X:15
T:Down The Broom
M:4/4
K:Ador
|:EAAG A2Bd|e2ed egga|
T:Merrily Kissed The Quaker
M:12/8
K:D
def ABA BGB ABA|def A2A f2a fed|
T:The Morning Star
|:B2BA BGEF|G2Bd efgd|
T:Memories Of East Clare
K:Ddor
dc|:.A2 Gc AGGE|CDEC DA, A,/A,/A,|
T:An Gadaighe Grána
M:3/4
K:F
f/e/|dc A2 c/A/G/A/|FF F>G Af/e/|

%%multicol new
%%rightmargin 1.5cm
%%leftmargin 11.5cm
T:The Old Reel
|:A>B d2 Bd<e2|A>B d2 e>dB<G|
T:The Mooncoin
M:6/8
K:Amix
ed|:cBA AEA|AEA Bcd|
T:Tobin’s Favourite
F|:DFA dcd|ecA cde|
T:Ard Rí
K:G
dc|:Bd AB G2 gf|eg dB A2 BA|
T:My Sorrow Is Greater Than I Can Tell
K:Amin
AB|c2B2A2|B2G2E2|

%%multicol end

Posted by .

Re: Incipits Sheet using mandolintab.net

No problem, fiddlingpea.

Posted by .

Adding to Ben’s contribution with a bit of a tangent. You can limit the width of the output with:
%%pagewidth 4in ( or centimeter equivalent)
and that makes the whole thing the same width and is probably the most useful contribution of what I’m about to throw out here. I would suggest that as an addition to Ben’s method to obtain a consistent width

If you want to force the titles to the left, you almost can with the header directive:
%%titleformat T-1
That will force the title and all subtitles to the left but it won’t work at all if the titles have any scoring in between - so that’s out for the incipits file as it is.

Changing all of the titles to text by deleting the "T:" and encasing the whole title in double-quotes is valid approach and you can produce some lovely output with the titles all of the way left in a bold font this way but… every single one of them has to manually positioned as text with the text positioning attributes. It’s effective but very, very labor intensive:

%%titlefont Times-Roman-Bold 14
%%annotationfont Times-Roman-Bold 14
%%musicspace -0.5cm
%%pagewidth 4in
%%titleformat T-1

"@-80,20Merrily Kissed The Quaker"
"@-80,40The Morning Star"
"@-50,20Memories Of East Clare"
"@-60,20An Gadaighe Grána"
"@-70,40The Old Reel"
"@-65,20The Mooncoin"
"@-65,40Tobin’s Favourite"
"@-60,25Ard Rí"
"@-45,35My Sorrow Is Greater Than I Can Tell"
AB|c2B2A2|B2G2E2|

A simpler approach is to just declare every title as a W: field and then adjust the positioning with the %%vskip directive. It’s consistent but does require a vskip both before and after the W:"Tune Title" to position it. Those of you familiar with the W: field know it automatically would put everything following the score but it can quite usefully be over-ridden via the vskip command. It’s horizontal position will always be about two character widths to the left of where a parts symbol would lie (P:A and so forth). That horizontal position cannot be overridden but at least it’s not far from the left edge of the score and completely consistent.

%%titlefont Times-Roman-Bold 14
%%annotationfont Times-Roman-Bold 14
%%musicspace -1cm
%%pagewidth 4in

W:Down The Broom
%%vskip -20
%%vskip -15
W:Merrily Kissed The Quaker
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:The Morning Star
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:Memories Of East Clare"
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:An Gadaighe Grána
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:The Old Reel
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:The Mooncoin
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:Tobin’s Favourite
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:Ard Rí
%%vskip -10
%%vskip -15
W:My Sorrow Is Greater Than I Can Tell
%%vskip -10
AB|c2B2A2|B2G2E2|

That’s all I can add to this thread and I am not proposing what I’ve posted are superior or otherwise. These are just two alternative approaches. I did all my experimenting in EasyABC 1.3.5. Different versions of EasyABC and any other ABC editor may produce different results.

Carl, did you try it in mandolintab.net?

Posted by .

I just tried but I haven’t found a button or anything that tells it to do its job.

Thanks for the interesting work. This seems to work in mandolintab.net. You need to submit the code and then look at the pdf output (click on the pdf button above where you enter the code. Good luck.

Posted by .

I finally found the "Submit" button after shrinking the page in Firefox a bunch. "Memories of East Clare" gets reduced to the first bar in both Firefox and Safari on mandolintab.net. In EasyABC "Memories of East Clare" has the lead-in plus two bars like it’s supposed to. There’s something to be said for something local to your computer and under your control.

"There’s something to be said for something local to your computer and under your control." A lot to be said for it.

Has anyone worked out why EasyABC sometimes doesn’t fill the column before going onto a new one or new page? I have not looked too hard for an answer as simply pasting in the new column and new page instructions where I want them gets the job done. Next laziest solution is asking here and AB has provided a place to ask!

"Has anyone worked out why EasyABC sometimes doesn’t fill the column before going onto a new one or new page?"

I’m not quite certain I understand the question. Are you talking about the "%%multicol start" functions for text below the score and the "%%newpage" command for a page-break? I’m hoping you’re not using columns in reference to measures and lines.

What do you mean by columns?

Carl, you did see I was using multicol in the OP? That was a point of posting this thread.

I mentioned using EasyAbc but I don’t keep a copy. That’s why I was steering toward the mandolintab.net converter. Also, most people I know locally will tend to use the online utility for cheat sheets before they will
ever dive into downloading and learning how to use other abc software.

If anyone is willing to try the bit I wrote in the OP on your personal abc software I would appreciate any feedback about how it does or does not work. Cheers!

I’m only testing it on my most recent copy of abcm2ps [abcm2ps-8.13.14 (2017-08-05)] and in mandolintab.net’s online utility. So far it seems to work in either of those. Though sometimes I use %%vskip in the new column to get the 2 columns lined up.

Here is a screenshot ~ https://www.dropbox.com/s/5o9rdwuzmom6xbw/Settings.jpg?dl=0

Posted by .

It worked just fine in EasyABC Ben.

Four years and six hand-surgeries ago when I could still finger-pick a guitar I went overboard using ABC notation to cover the melody, finger-picking, wording etc of a song I was performing (very infrequently mind you). If you’re into neo-romantic songs I suppose it would stand on it’s own but for the sake of demonstrating those multicol commands I’m throwing the whole un-memorable piece of music into this thread. I drove myself nuts getting the verses to display properly below the score. While I was at it and since the V:2 section covered the finger-picking but I wanted to include chords without playing them, I put the chords V:2 section with the underscore preceding the chord name which keeps them below the line and also keeps them from playing. I could just have easily used "%%MIDI gchordoff" but you know how it goes, you get to experimenting and then things start getting esoteric and weird.

I:abc-charset utf-8
%%titlefont Times-Bold 24
%%subtitlefont Times-Bold 18
%%gchordfont Times-Bold 14
%%composerfont Times-Italic 16
%%textfont Times-Italic 16
%%partsfont Times-Bold 14
%%printtempo 0
%%printparts 1
%%partsbox 1
%%bstemdown 1
%%withxrefs 1
%%leftmargin 2cm
%%rightmargin 2cm
%%titleformat T , R-1 C1
%%
X:809
%%leftmargin 2cm
%%rightmargin 2cm
%%vocalfont Times-Roman 16
%%scale .65
T:Tale of Abigail, The
C:Carl Allison (2014)
L:1/8
Q:1/4=65
R:Original Ballad
K:Amaj
V:1 clef=treble octave=0
"@-10,40(capo at 2nd fret)"\
D/2E/2 |FF ED |E2 z D/2E/2 | FF ED | C2 z D/2E/2 |
w:Let me | tell you of the | tale, of the | Love-ly A-bi- | gail as she
F2 E D | E/2D z CD/2 | B,4 | z2 DE |
w:longed for her | sail-or gone to sea. On the
F F2 E/2D/2 | E2 z2 | F2 F/2E/2 D | E2 z2 |
"@400,-15(guitar bridge here with a whole lot of stuff)"\
w:mor-ning he set sail, she be-gan to wail.
F2 ED | ED z C/2D/2 | B,4 | z3 E |
w:Tears for her lo-ver gone a-way. He
FF E>{C}D | E2 E2 |F F/2E/2 (D2 | E2) z D/2E/2 |
w:kissed her as he left, these were the words he said, "Wor-ry
F2 F/2F/2 F| ED CD | B,2 z2 | z4 |
w:not my love, I will re-turn ‘ere long
V:2 clef=treble octave=0
[I:MIDI=program 46]
z |"_Bm7" B,/2F/2 d/2A/2 f/2d/2 A/2d/2 |"_F#m9(omit 5)" E/2G/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |"_Bmaj7(b5)/E"=G/2B/2 c/2B/2 f/2c/2 B/2c/2 |"_F#m7" F/2A/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |
"_E6add11"B,/2E/2 d/2B/2 f/2d/2 B/2d/2 |"_F#m7/B" C/2F/2 e/2c/2 f/2e/2 c/2e/2 |"_Bm7"B,/2F/2 d/2A/2 f/2d/2 A/2d/2 |"_F#m9(omit 5)" E/2G/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |
"_Bm7"B,/2F/2 d/2A/2 f/2d/2 A/2d/2 |"_F#m9(omit 5)" E/2G/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |"_Bmaj7(b5)/E"=G/2B/2 c/2B/2 f/2c/2 B/2c/2 |"_F#m7" F/2A/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |
"_E6add11"B,/2E/2 d/2B/2 f/2d/2 B/2d/2 |"_F#m7/B" C/2F/2 e/2c/2 f/2e/2 c/2e/2 | "_Bm7" B,/2F/2 d/2A/2 f/2d/2 A/2d/2 |"_F#m9(omit 5)" E/2G/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |
"_Bmaj7(b5)/E"=G/2B/2 c/2B/2 f/2c/2 B/2c/2 |"_F#m7" F/2A/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |"_E6add11"B,/2E/2 d/2B/2 f/2d/2 B/2d/2 | "_F#m7/B" C/2F/2 e/2c/2 f/2e/2 c/2e/2 |
"_Bmaj7(b5)/E"=G/2B/2 c/2B/2 f/2c/2 B/2c/2 |"_F#m7" F/2A/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |"_Bm7" B,/2F/2 d/2A/2 f/2d/2 A/2d/2 |"_F#m9(omit 5)" E/2G/2 e/2A/2 f/2e/2 A/2e/2 |

%%newpage
%%textfont Times-Roman 24
%%begintext center

The Tale of Abigail
%%endtext
%%textfont Times-Roman 22
%%multicol start
%%leftmargin 3cm
%%rightmargin 2cm
%%begintext obeylines
Let me tell you of the tale
Of the Lovely Abigail
As she longed for her sailor
Gone to sea

On the morning he set sail
She began to wail
Tears for her lover
Gone away

He kissed her as he left
These were the words he said
"Worry not my love,
I will return ‘ere long."

The days so slowly passed
For this love forsaken lass
Absence that seemed
Eternity

Upon the widow’s walk
The sight of sail she stalked
Upon the empty sea
Her vision cast
%%endtext
%%multicol new
%%leftmargin 12.5cm
%%rightmargin 2cm
%%begintext
And her tears did freely fall
When she saw no sails at all
But her love stood strong
And kept her from despair

When at last she saw
Ships pennants flown aloft
Her voice
Did sing the joyous news

And then the lines were tossed
“Moored” cried from far aloft
And once again
He held his Abigail.

She leaned against his chest
And heard the words he said
"I’ll never leave again,
My Abigail."

Thus this ends the tale
Of the Lovely Abigail
For her lover has returned
From the sea
%%endtext
%%leftmargin 2cm
%%rightmargin 1
%%multicol end
%%%newpage

I woke up this morning with the horrible realization that my last post was too far off topic to be of value to this thread. I apologize.

Yes AB, those are the columns I was asking about.

When dropped into EasyABC 1.3.7.3 your code displays only the first 5 incipits.
The message from absm2ps-8.11.7 (June 24, 2016) has two errors from the abc to Svg conversion "%multicol new without start" and "%multicol end without start".

Exporting from EasyABC to PDF via the menu gives a warning "Line too much shrunk" (from abcm2ps) and passes it to Ghostscript which produces single page PDF with the 5 incipits and no reported complaints.

This worked in http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php. Apparently, abcconverter doesn’t even need the multicol statements as long as the margin positions are defined and a %%vskip -430 is used to push the right-hand column up to the top of the first column. This will not work in EasyABC without the original %%multicol statements plus some additional %%pagewidth statements. I’m wondering how it will work with abcm2ps but I’m not the guy to try that out.

%%titlefont Helvetica-Oblique 13
%%musicspace -0.5cm
%%leftmargin 1.5cm
%%rightmargin 11.5cm
T:Merrily Kissed The Quaker
T:The Morning Star
T:Memories Of East Clare
T:An Gadaighe Grána
%%vskip -430
%%rightmargin 1.5cm
%%leftmargin 11.5cm
T:The Old Reel
T:The Mooncoin
T:Tobin’s Favourite
T:Ard Rí
T:My Sorrow Is Greater Than I Can Tell
AB|c2B2A2|B2G2E2|

Taht works fine for me in EasyABC for PDF output. It’s the sort of thing I have been doing. EasyABC feeds it to abcm2ps and then on to Ghostscript (or you can get the Postscript file from the cache).

It doesn’t work for the screen display. Maybe the command line options it uses for SVG output are intended for how it wants its own interface to work. EasyABC’s own incipits each have their own X: line and display on screen as individual 2-bar (or whatever) tunes. The writers may have settled on a way of doing the %% statements that works both on its screen and for export.

I think my issue with it not always filling the columns is probably something internal to EasyABC - it may have to anticipate what will fit on a page when inserting the statements between the tunes. If I put them where I want them it then produces PDFs as expected (as does abcm2ps).