Tune music notation expanded by default - new site feature?

Tune music notation expanded by default - new site feature?

I just noticed that the music notation for all TUNE settings is being shown automatically, rather than having to click through each setting to expand.

If this is (to be) a permanent feature, then I for one welcome it, but will now need to search for other ways to exercise my index finger - thanks Jeremy!

Re: Tune music notation expanded by default - new site feature?

It’s excellent, I never use abc, always notation, so I welcome and prefer this new site behaviour.

It is excellent. Jeremy added it a few weeks ago. If you’re reading the notation presented by it, you’re using an interpreter for abc notation so technically, you’re using abc. Still better to read notation though.

@Callison: I know Jeremy added the excellent "pop-up tune previews" (https://thesession.org/discussions/42832) a few weeks ago, but the disappearance of/requirement for the "Sheet Music" button in the Tune page itself seems a newer feature.

It’s true—it’s a new addition. I meant to post something about it here in the discussions section. Sorry I didn’t get round to it till now…

It won’t work on older browsers—they’ll still need to click the "sheet music" button each time, but modern browsers get the expanded sheet music.

If anyone’s interested in the technical details…

There’s a JavaScript library required to convert the ABC to SVG images ( it’s the brilliant abcjs: https://github.com/paulrosen/abcjs ). The first time you click a "sheet music" button, the JavaScript file is loaded. For modern browsers that support service workers, the abcjs library is also pre-cached. The new addition to the site is to run a check whenever a tune page loads: a) is this a service-worker supporting browser?, and b) has the abcjs script already been cached? If the answer to both questions is "yes", then the sheetmusic is automatically expanded. Effectively, it’s as if all the "sheet music" buttons are being clicked automatically (if you’re eagle-eyed, you might even see the button for a brief moment before it’s automatically swapped out).

I decided to put a limit on the number of automatic conversions. So if you visit a tune with over twenty settings, the sheet music won’t expand automatically—you’ll still have to click the button each time. That’s because with a lot of ABC notation, converting them all at once could be quite processer-intensive.

Anyway, that’s enough of the tech talk. I really hope you like this new addition. I find that personally, I’m already more likely to compare *all* settings of a tune when they’re already in sheet music form like this.

I like it!

Noticed it today when browsing for tune differences on an Android/Google phone, and thought it might be a browser bug, but glad to see it’s now the default. A big time-saver when comparing tune settings for those of use who aren’t ABC-literate.

Proper job!

Quite brilliant Jeremy, and thanks for the explanation (and again for the feature)! I had kind of guessed that it evolved via exploiting developing browser capability - very much respect to the intellect that conceived and implemented it.

I too prefer the new way of presenting. Good feature - thanks.

From your description above - is ABCjs being used every time to generate the SVG? These aren’t generated in the background on the server, cached and served as images?

That’s right, the images are generated "on the fly", so to speak.

I’ve dabbled with caching them on the server, but there are subtly different SVGs generated for different screen sizes so that makes it a bit more complicated. It’s still something I’d like to get working at some point though.

Another thank you from me!

@Rick Payman. You’re correct, I missed that button bit.

I no text right away - very nice.
The ‘hover’ first two bars pop-up doesn’t work on my smartphone. I looked for a way to imitate the mouse curser and could not find the answer. I wonder if I’m not using the correct terminology in my search (?).

You’re quite right—the pop-up preview doesn’t work on mobile: without a mouse, there’s no concept of "hovering" a link, alas.

I have a Cannon printer here. The other day I printed out a set and the printer did the first page then stopped and retrieved that page and printed the remaining part of the last tune on the reverse side of that page. In all the years I have been churning out copies of these tunes I have never experienced this and it has gone back to it’s old way now. How did this happen? White fella magic. ???

You accidentally hit "double-sided printing"? Or perhaps always set that way and your previous prints were only one sided?

G’day all.
I think it is a marvelous feature.
Whenever I go to look at a tune, I normally open up ALL the sheets so that I can compare and choose the one most suitable.
Wonderful,
Thanks,
P.

Leave it to me to be the only person who does not benefit from this enhancement. I appreciate the mouse-over incipit function. However I don’t really want to see the full sheet for every setting along with the abcs. It looks cool but for me it doesn’t serve my purpose as directly as being able to see the abcs, and who submitted them, first & then selecting the ones with which I wish to see the staff notation.

That’s just my approach to using the database. Granted I’m the only one here who thinks about it this way.
Which means it’s an improvement for most users.

Cheers.

Posted by .

Not the only one AB. I find it makes it harder to compare two settings that are not adjacent, which I would do by closing the ones in between.

David50, how do you close the sheet music?
Ben

Posted by .

@AB. I don’t now.

:-(

Posted by .