Advanced fiddle tuition at summer schools

Advanced fiddle tuition at summer schools

Hi all

Who would you say are good fiddle tutors (who teach in Ireland during summer) for reasonably advanced fiddle players?

I’m thinking in terms of examining each students’ playing and helping individuals improve as opposed to teaching classes as a whole (learning tunes, demonstrating etc).

It’s a question I get asked often and there’s no definitve answer of course - it can be so subjective - but not everyone is interested in more tunes and many really good fiddle teachers are too polite to tear apart someone’s playing!

David

Posted by .

Re: Advanced fiddle tuition at summer schools

Thanks Jason. I was aware of James’s Skype lessons and have had tuition from him at the WCSS. I really like him, he’s great craic and of course a magnificent player.

In this thread, what I’m looking for is the answer to the question I’ve been asked many times by people attending summer schools in Ireland - who’s good at improving individual students’ playing, rather than the many teachers who simply teach tunes.

Posted by .

I think it depends more on class size than on who the instructor is - I’ve gotten good critiques from every fiddle teacher I’ve had when the group class had 10 or so students in it. The Blas Summer School was great for that

Perhaps the organisers of summer school classes /workshops could address this one. Why not vary the programme somewhat and include some class groups in response to this? I haven’t done very many summer courses here in Ireland, but for the ones I have attended, I’ve never seen a feedback form distributed or had any form of review invited.
Maybe it’s time to let them know…

I can’t really see how that would work. With a class full of people you can teach a tune and teach a bit of technique, usually some ornaments that could be used in that tune. Or you could do it like a classical master class - take one or two students and critique their technique for the benefit of the whole class. But to go through and critique each individual student would take forever, and those not on the hot chair would get bored stiff. If you need individual tuition you really need an individual lesson.

I don’t know about Ireland, but here in the states Brian Conway is a wonderful teacher and participates in a lot of music weeks and weekends.

airport: you’re correct, the smaller the class size, the better. Most tend to be wedged; going round individuals isn’t always practical, especially for one- or two-day masterclasses.

Christmas Eve: same experience here. Do any schools take students’ views into account?

Mark M: you’re right but in maybe the week-long schools it’s possible. Tutors sharing their instruction and thoughts - in this case about an individual’s strengths and weaknesses - with others in the class as they’re critiquing could keep people involved.

Boots MacAllen: send him over!

These are good food for thought, people, keep them coming.

Posted by .