App to create a set

App to create a set

Hi there,
This is my first post looking for help if anyone can please. I’m a learner of the low whistle and all things whistle and it’s in my heart a deep way !
I’ve learnt to read music, but try as best as I can to learn without it! I use the internet and have had a few amazing lessons with some amazing folk I’ve found in sweet Ireland.
I use the Amazing Slow Downer app and Tunepal quite a lot. They are all fantastic tools. Of course I want more. I’m looking for (a very user friendly) iPad app where I can add one tune then add another after it. Like creating a set. The point so I can get to hear how they work together and then work on the turn. Or change the tune if it didn’t work so good. Does anyone know if this exists and if so any links to iPad compatible ones would make me hugely happy.
Thank you ….
Eila

Posted by .

Re: App to create a set

This site has a functionality for sets built in it. I don’t use it myself but I think it might do exactly what you want :)

To zaivanbuijs’ point, the site does, although, it won’t give you the midi playback file as it sounds like you want. One way around this would be to use MuseScore, it’s free. Granted, this will take you a bit of time Eila, as you will have to copy & paste each tune separately into one MuseScore file, adjust the barlines\repeats, etc etc.

I use "Tunebook" for ipad. It’s abc based but you can put multiple tunes on one page and print them via PDF and listen by midi. I’ve found it a very useful app.

Thank you. Yep - Nfldwhsitler, you got it. I don’t mind some faff, it’s just that I’m not very technically minded when it comes to electronic-wizardry!
I need to be able to hear the tunes - what the notes say isn’t how the tune probably sounds if you know what I mean.
Ideally it’d be great to take the actual tune, be it a recording or whatever put it in the app then edit and add another physical tune. I’ll have a look at Musescore, as it’ll play the tunes back and hopefully make sense of it …! Thank you for your time & help!!

Posted by .

Tunebook. Fantastic. Thank you. Will check that out too.

Posted by .

The best sets come from when you get to the end of a tune and unconsciously fall into another tune because for you, they work naturally together! However, I do use this site to actually keep a record of tune sets I like - as I’ve got to a stage where I can’t remember all the tunes and sets. I find sets I’ve forgotten about - and sometimes then decide I’ve learnt new tunes that work better!

Have a look at the Craic app. It has lots of tunes loaded but you can easily add more from here and other sites. You can vary speed and “instrument” of the play back. You can add tunes from the list to make a set which you can play back and save. It works fine on this iPad. You can save the tunes as PDF or abc and export to email etc as usual as well as print. There is also a companion app called sideband that can slow down tunes from your iPad library, discount if you get both apps.

Thank you so much for all the help. It’s all great tips and gives me a lot to go and play with. Now I just need more time …if only ..!

Posted by .

Tarrantella
Some nice sets there
I also use it to log sets as a reminder
What we need on the session is a convenient way to download any list of sets as one formatted abc file
Then you could read it in an app like ‘Tradmusician’ which is an android killer app
A great session member called Callison wrote this functionality for me earllier this year and it works flawlessly
Pm me for the file of my sets formatted by Callison if you are interested
Jeremy - I’m sure Callison would give you the code to roll into the mighty Session app if you are interested ?

Posted by .