Looking for a possibly different tune name.

Looking for a possibly different tune name.

I just purchased the very pleasant album "Uillean Tales" by Chris McMullan. The first tune in the second set of "The Shaskeen, The Mist on the Mountain, McGoldricks (Jigs)" sounds nothing like any of the dots for "The Shaskeen" that I’ve accessed anywhere. It sounds closer to "Annam Cara" off of the Michael McGoldrick "Aurora" album. Could someone here clue me in to the proper name and/or the dots for the tune?

Thanks

Re: Looking for a possibly different tune name.

https://thesession.org/tunes/1433
If you’d gone to the album in "Recordings", the link would appear to be correct.

Posted by .

"Tommy Mulhaire’s" doesn’t appear on the recordings page for the album but "Tommy Mulhaire’s" certainly seems to be the correct tune. The Recordings page just says "The Shaskeen" which is why I asked the question. Thanks for the answer though! Now all I have to do is learn it.

Ben, I don’t see "Tommy Mulhaire’s" anywhere on those two pages. The Shaskeen - certainly, but nothing I see links The Shaskeen with Tommy Mulhaire’s. If it’s there, someone will have to point it out to me. My wife says the best place to hide something from me is under my nose. This is probably another one of those instances.

Because Jeremy has allowed us to edit the links in "Recordings", anyone is permitted to create a "link" to any tune in an instance where it may not automatically link to the "correct" tune here in the database. eg - "Paddy Fahy’s" - which almost certainly needs more corrections, with all of the tunes by that title here.
I don’t think I did it in this instance, but I would bet that originally "The Shaskeen" would have linked to the reel, someone spotted the mistake, and corrected the link to "Tommy Mulhaire’s". It’s the lesser of two evils, because adding "The Shaskeen" as an alternative title to "Tommy Mulhaire’s" would have added all of the recordings of "The Shaskeen" reel as "Recordings of this tune" to the jig. Hope this helps.

Posted by .

Okay, got it! Thanks! ;^)

I trust everyone interested has now figured this out. If not the two links I posted above are each for the album in question. Both show "Shaskeen" as the name of the first tune in a set of jigs (track 2). Yesterday one linked to the reel "Shaskeen" while the other linked to the jig "Tommy Mulhaire’s". Now both link to "Tommy Mulhaire’s"[Jig].

Posted by .

I don’t think adding "Shaskeen" as an alternative title for "Tommy Mulhaire’s"[jig] would redirect all recordings of the "Shaskeen"[reel] to "Tommy Mulhaire’s". The database has a reel, hornpipe and jig named
the "Shaskeen" and there are good recording links to the appropriate tune (type). Believe it or not!

https://thesession.org/tunes/5712/recordings/1433

Posted by .

The same album were posted twice by different members, and those have now been merged by Jeremy.

Jeremy does a grand job on his website. It must eat up a tremendous amount of his time.