Help chasing up some old Donegal recordings?

Help chasing up some old Donegal recordings?

Hi all,

Ever since I bought that new album of recordings from James Byrne (it’s spectacular), I’ve been on yet another Donegal fiddle binge. How utterly predictable of me. Anyway, I’m wondering if any of you can help me find two things in particular (note that I don’t live in Ireland:

1. The RTÉ CD "The Donegal Fiddle". Is it still being sold? The RTÉ shop is cumbersome at best and I haven’t been able to search it there. I’ve also never seen any material on the web from RTÉ about this CD, only a glowing review from an outside source.
2. I’m trying to chase up some old Johnny Doherty recordings, i.e., not the three available on iTunes. I guess that constitutes those made by Peter Kennedy and EFDSS. Anyone know where to find / buy these?

Thanks very much in advance, and best regards in the holiday season and new year.
Daniel

Re: Help chasing up some old Donegal recordings?

I might be able to help with some recordings Daniel, but have to go out. I’ll have a look-see later today and get back to you.

Posted by .

Thanks a bunch Kenny. Yes I do, it’s brilliant. That just teases me though :)

Also, to anyone here, did I hear somewhere on the web that there’s a 4th volume of "The Fiddle Music of Donegal" out from Cairdeas? I only saw 3 at their store but saw vols. 1-4 listed somewhere else.

Forgot to mention, John Doherty also has a recording from Comhaltas. Also tracking that down. Found a copy of it on Amazon… on vinyl… which doesn’t really work for me, to put it mildly.

Sorry Daniel - a bit of a false alarm, I’m afraid. I thought I had the RTE recording on tape but no. However, a few other things you might be interested in which I came across :

1 - the Aberdeen Folk Club used to put out a magazine in the late 1960s called "Chapbook". I have one of them which includes an article about Johnny Doherty, involving Paddy Tunney and Peter Kennedy. I can scan that and forward it to you if you PM me an email address.

2 - there was a programme about Donegal fiddling on BBC Radio 3 some years back . I have it on a cassette tape and can digitise it for you. No Johnny Doherty on it, introduced by Dermot McLaughlin, with recordings of Con Cassidy, Vincent Campbell and Francie and James Byrne.

As I type this, I’m remembering a Donegal fiddler who used to live in Aberdeen. He might well have that RTE CD you’re looking for. I’ll ask him and get back to you.

Posted by .

@Kenny, PM sent. Thanks for your help.

-Daniel