Chieftains album

Chieftains album

Hi all, I’m looking to buy a new Chieftains album but don’t know which to get. I have limited money so I have to be choosy. I have The Chieftains one and two, which are good, but I like more accompaniment. I really enjoyed their Voice Of Ages album. Anything else like this or with some variety such as songs?

Re: Chieftains album

Try Spotify. Lots of Chieftains records on it.

My own opinions : There is good traditional Irish music on any of the recordings up to "Chieftains 10". I didn’t think much of anything after that, apart from "Water From The Well", where they went back to their roots, recording mainly with guest traditional Irish musicians. I honestly can’t think of a single song collaboration they did which I would want to hear again.
If you PM me a postal address, in the spirit of Christmas just past, I’d be happy to send you this :
https://thesession.org/recordings/111
There are currently over 600 "Chieftains" CDs for sale on eBay, and most of the "collaboration" recordings can be bought for less than £3.00. P&P to Australia might up the cost though.
Best of luck with your search, Kenny.

Posted by .

I’m partial to Chieftains 7 myself. On Spotify.

I mostly agree with Kenny on the collaborations, but, there is stuff on the two Nashville ones I like. And some great moments from the Chieftains themselves.

Like Adrian W., I am partial to the Chieftains 7 album. It was the first one I bought many years ago (in the days of vinyl) and still is my favorite after having heard many others they produced.

On Chieftains 7: as a branny new whistle player, to spare my family, it was two tracks that literally drove me up to my woodshop to learn them. On the CD as ‘Dochas’ , and ‘No.6 The Coombe’ (first tune: Chuimhne an Phiobaire). Still my two favourite Chieftains tracks of all time, and my lesson learned was if I could hear it, I could learn to play it.

Thanks, I’ll grab Chieftains 7. When it comes to Spotify, I’ve tried it but it ran down my internet credit really fast. I don’t have unlimited internet. It’s too costly. The most I’ll do is sample an album on Spotify then buy it on cd.

I wholeheartedly agree with Chieftains 7. Any of the first 10 are my preference as well. Bells of Dublin is great for songs but it is a Christmas album.

Buy a CD and support the artist.