Sessions during the extended Winter holiday period.

Sessions during the extended Winter holiday period.

OBSERVATION: How strange that most sessions get suspended during the boring holiday fortnight.
Everyone is tediously sitting at home, bored, watching tele because we assume everyone else is far too busy with family and/ or parties to get out for tunes…
But no-one is busy! EVERYONE is doing nothing, purposely depriving ourselves of our most favourite pastime because of some upside down social embarrassment which is a myth in the first place!!!

Re: Sessions during the extended Winter holiday period.

Total agreement from me.

Posted by .

"Everyone is tediously sitting at home, bored, watching tele…..".
"EVERYONE is doing nothing, ….. "
Certainly not me. Too many tunes to learn or practice, too music music to listen to. Massive simplistic over-assumptions on your part.
Unless the pub is closed, what exactly is it that is preventing you and some friends from going out and playing music ? Why not just do it at home ? Positive suggestion for you.

Posted by .

The pub is not closed but it’s full of once a year pub goers.

"The pub is not closed but it’s full of once a year pub goers".
But I thought : "Everyone is tediously sitting at home, bored, watching tele…..".
Sort it out for yourselves, I’ve a few new tunes to learn. Happy New Year, when it comes.

Posted by .

Our session went ahead as usual on Thursday! I suspect the pub would have had a quiet night without the musicians and their friends and partners filling the bar!

We have an extra session on 2nd January every year, in addition to our usual monthly session.
The extra one runs from about 12.30. - 4pm after which we go off to various other houses for more music, eating and drinking.

Friday night tunes as usual.

Of course it depends on the night of your session. Ours fell on Christmas Eve/Day, New Year’s Eve/Day.

OP - I totally agree.

I think on the day after Boxing Day they ought to hold a Super Session to use up all the pent-up frustrations of Christmas - transforming pain and struggle into Art. 🙂

We’re having a New Year’s Eve session here in Llanidloes, if anyone wants to come 😉 . Send me a PM.

Most sessions seem to go ahead during the holiday period unless they actually fall on the likes of Xmas/Boxing/New Year days themselves.

As Kenny says, it’s up to yourselves to keep playing even on those days if you really want to do so. There’s no harm in having a rest and a bit of indulgence instead though if that suits as well.

I don’t think my local session starts up again until February. It’s summer here and school holidays last until Feb so a lot of things are on hold so people can enjoy the warm weather. Personally I’m bored though.

Something in an extended Winter holiday. makes a body feel *alone*

Yhaal House, make an extended Winter holiday period session with some random musician strangers. You don’t need to be a victim of extended Winter….norms & mores. You need music, or you’ll die of boredom. Alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYN1GX1VWzk

Posted by .

"transforming pain and struggle into Art. 🙂"

I love you, Mollie!

Posted by .

Hosting pub sessions here in San Diego on both Dec 30 and Jan 1!

If our once a month session looks due to fall on Jan 1st or 2nd, it just gets put back a week to 8th or 9th, so we don’t miss one.

Up in Kendal, Cumbria our weekly session went on as normal on Thursday night (27th) and a jolly nice night it was too, there may be a few having an extra session tonight (31st) - although with relatives staying I’m not sure I’ll manage to escape, otherwise I’ll be there next Thursday (3rd). Yes Xmas holidays can be boring - but only if you give in to them.

Christmas MUST GO! The disruption to the session schedule is not acceptable.

Endured a session famine for two weeks and normal service doesn’t resume until mid-January. Itching for a sesion - hope to make it to the Poitin Stil this evening.

Posted by .

Give Christmas back to the Christians.

In my area, a holiday (winter/Easter/summer) means a bigger chance to actually HAVE a session, since the number of musicians is more than doubled. Last week, we were seven instead of the usual three - how about that!

"Give Christmas back to the Christians" Exactly!

Posted by .

I think it’s time to Pass Over this discussion. 😉

We always have great sessions around Diwali and/ or Eid al Fitr!!

"I think it’s time to Pass Over this discussion. 😉"

Yee had to say that didn’t yee