Send a blackwood flute in USA

Send a blackwood flute in USA

Hi all,
I am in Italy and I need to send a my blackwood flute in USA. What I have to do to cope with CITES restrictions and to be sure the flute will arrive safe?
It’s not clear for me the right procedure to sell those items in USA.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by .

Re: Send a blackwood flute in USA

Hello,
Sorry your question is a bit vague but can I ask is this a one time sale of a flute made by someone else to someone living in the US
Or are you making flutes in Blackwood and wish to sell to a customer in the US?

There are threads out on chiff forum that may help and are loaded with info.
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104482&hilit=Cites

If it is a private sale of a used flute to the US the safest way is to have someone hand courier it to the states (not technically legal either I suppose) but if you know any musician going to the US you could have them bring it and then mail to where ever.
I’ve travelled from Scotland to US and back serveral times and have had no questions about my instruments.
You can just send it and hope for the best but it can be confiscated.
You need to prove it is made from pre cites Blackwood. With this info it MAY be possible to obtain the correct import and export permits required for both countries. For a one off sale this is unlikely to be worth your time or money and the buyer will have to do his or her bit on their end as well.

Posted by .

Re: Send a blackwood flute in USA

I was of the opinion that if you entered a country with African Blackwood or other timbers you had to have that item when you left. Or you were in trouble