Slides vs. single jigs (sorry, dead horse, but I must beat you)

Slides vs. single jigs (sorry, dead horse, but I must beat you)

It seems to me that MOST OF THE TIME the phrase ends on the second half of the bar (beat 4 in jigs, beat 7 in slides), and then you either chill on that note or transition into the repeat or next tune. That being the case slides would be written/felt in 12/8 because otherwise you’d have the end of the phrase on beat 1. Examples:

X: 1
T: The Kesh
R: jig
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
|:G3 GAB| A3 ABd|edd gdd|edB dBA|
GAG GAB|ABA ABd|edd gdd|BAF G3:|
^Phrase ends here

B2B d2d|ege dBA|B2B dBG|ABA AGA|
BAB d^cd|ege dBd|gfg aga| bgg g3:|
^Phrase ends here

X: 1
T: The Star Above The Garter
R: slide
M: 12/8
L: 1/8
K: Gmaj
d2B BAG ~A3 ABA|G2E c2B BAG ABc|
d2B BAG ~A3 ABA|G2E c2E D3 D3:|
^phrase ends here
|:d2e f2a g2e d2B|G2B c2B BAG ABc|
d2e f2a g2e d2B|G2B c2E D3 D3:|
^phrase ends here

"The Road To Lisdoonvarna" is an exception, and I’m sure there are others. But for the most part this seems to be the case to me.

I’m talking mainly about notation here and naming here, as certainly things like tempo and feel will vary from player to player.

Am I wrong?

Re: Slides vs. single jigs (sorry, dead horse, but I must beat you)

You are not necessarily wrong but a little clarification is required. Firstly, it is not clear exactly where "phrase ends here" refers to; secondly, The Kesh is generally regarded as (and played as) a *double* jig, not a single jig.

@Creadur True. Sorry. I meant jigs in general, assuming the confusion is between single jigs and slides. Whether the jig is single or double the phrase tends to end on beat 4.

As far as “phrase ends here” I don’t know how else to describe it. In classical music we’d call it a cadence, but I don’t know if that term applies here.

@Arthur Figgis: Sorry, your wording is still ambiguous. Is this about jigs vs. slides/single jigs or is it about single jigs vs. slides?

My question about your "phrase ends here" annotation is primarily about precisely what point in the tune it applies to - in your two abc examples, the anotation appears in exactly the same positions for the jig and the slide, so it doesn’t tell me anything.

I’m talking about single jigs vs. slides, but the "rule" applies to single and double jigs. I should have used a single jig example.

Hmm. To add to the ambiguity, Arthur, ‘cadence’ can also refer to the resolution of a chordal sequence…:)